27

This pain was nothing like she had felt before. The wrenching of her heart like someone just purposely stood there pushing a knife deeper and deeper into it. The nausea, like she was just on the verge of throwing up.

Willow shut her eyes for a split second, her hand grasping three of Christopher's fingers as he lay in the coffin, inside the Mikaelson tomb in the cemetery. Despite how much she had wished, how much she had dreamt and prayed and just downright begged, she didn't wake up from this nightmare. Christopher never woke up from his sleep. And now Willow was forced to stand by him as he was put to rest. Not forced by anyone but herself, force by her own morals and wills.

"I thought you'd keep your promise, not to leave me" she whispered to him, hoping that nobody would hear her. She did feel kind of stupid, talking to someone she knew wouldn't be able to hear her.

When she found the strength to, Willow turned her head and looked to Elijah, who stood amongst his siblings with a solemn expression on his face. Not only did it hurt him to see his friend, someone he classed as family, lie in that coffin, but it also killed him to see Willow hurting the way she was. Maybe she didn't admit it like she really should, but he could see it in her eyes.

"Two hundred years of life; and now look at him" Willow shrugged, sighing as she spoke "it shows you how alike we all really are. No matter if you were vampire or human, be it days, years or centuries, everyone's still going to end up in a box"

It was true. Delving deeper into it, there was really no such thing as immortality, everybody had their weaknesses, and though the white oak steak had been annihilated, as long as Willow still lived and breathed, the Mikaelson's always had that risk of ending the same way. And even then, if Willow was to perish, who knew if anybody else could harness that power- but it seemed tough, something only the creators of the original stone were actually capable of. Willow's parents created the stone, and maybe it was only them who could transfer the power.

Willow locked eyes with Elijah. That's the only contact the pair had all day. She had somehow managed to dodge every single conversation with him, every single moment alone. Willow felt awful, but she wasn't quite sure if she should pursue what was there between them. Taking what was happening now for an example, did Willow really want to lay out everything once more, allow herself to be hurt like this?

She turned back to Christopher "loving someone can make you so vulnerable" she said, playing it off as saying it to Christopher, when really she knew she was talking about Elijah. Now Christopher had gone, she had a clean slate, nobody to really get involved with. But did she want to be so alone, so recluse.

Willow had time though. Something she was very fortunate to have, though it was limited, but she was certain she'd have time to give everything another think over. But she'd always step back, that was the person she was, she'd need Elijah to just pour his heart out to her for her to think this was a good idea. Willow looked at him again, he was an original vampire, a thousand years old and yet has only fallen in love three or four times, was she delusional? Was she just making the whole thing up in her head as a coping mechanism? Of course he was never going to admit something that deep.

Willow snapped herself out of her own thoughts, cursing herself for being so rude. How dare she think about herself and her own predicaments right now, in the midst of the intimate gathering to bid farewell to someone that has been there for her her entire life.

Willow had already said a few words to him, she had said it alone, embarrassed to speak in front of the the siblings. She cried, a lot, to the extent that she swore she ran out of tears, but moments later, they were still coming.

"I was so lucky to have someone like you in my life" Willow told him, her hands reaching up to the lid of the coffin and she closed it slowly "I'll probably see you soon"

The lid of the coffin latched and it locked. Willow took a step backwards, bumping into Elijah who must've walked up closer to either watch the lid go down, or to comfort her. All she did was look up at him, the tears pooled in her eyes as she just wanted a hug, or some sort of comfort.

Yet, she was so stupid. Instead of listening to what her heart was saying, she stepped to the side, moving her head away to wipe her eyes carefully.

Elijah furrowed his eyebrows, watching the girl as she walked out of the tomb as soon as Niklaus had slid the coffin into a neat slot.

"Aren't you going to go after her?" Rebekah left Freya's side and walked up to Elijah, she had been watching them from afar all day.

Elijah looked towards the ground "she's mourning, she needs time alone" but he wasn't quite sure if that was completely true or not, he was just making excuses up for her.

Rebekah's eyes were red and sore, she was in mourning too, so she knew completely what Willow was going through. And trust her, she did not want to be alone during this time.

"Poppycock" Rebekah scoffed, sniffling and wiping her eyes. "She's just lost someone that she's known ever since she was born, would you prefer to be alone? No, I didn't think so"

"She's not spoken to me all day" Elijah revealed "I'm almost certain that somehow, I'm not sure how, I will only make matters worse"

"Elijah" Rebekah had to breathe deeply to keep herself calm "I need you to trust me now, you need to go to her, now."

It was that kind of maniac look in his sister's eyes, something he had only seen on odd occasions that made Elijah edge backwards with his hands raised in surrender. He edged outside where the sun was beginning to set and the sky was turning a burnt orange colour.

Okay, maybe Rebekah was right. He definitely needed to talk to Willow.