17

"Your idea was really kind" Christopher had got back in the car and drove 10 minutes up the road, pulling into the drive of a suburban house in a quiet street. He pulled the handbrake and looked up at the white house. "To pick up her clothes and things for her"

"She seemed really upset the other day, it was the least I could do" Elijah replied "I told her to release her anger and the first thing she told me was that she was angry because all of her things were back here"

"Hmh" Christopher replied with a small hm as he thought of what to say "you two have become really close recently, haven't you?"

"Don't start this" Elijah shook his head and immediately exited the car before he could get into such an awkward conversation. He walked up to the front porch and stood outside of the door.

But that was really all that Christopher needed to hear.

Christopher smirked as he walked up to him, taking the key from his pocket and jiggling it within the lock to open the door. "I compelled the sheriff and his men to leave this place untouched. I didn't want anything moved and I certainly didn't want anyone else to live here" he explained as he stepped through the door into the hallway.

"Understandable" Elijah walked in behind him, looking up at the stairs and then around at the house that seemed completely normal, there was still a mug on the side, from when somebody finished their drink, the remote still on the arm of the chair. There was washing still folded up neatly in the kitchen, ready to be out away. It was like, at any moment, someone would come back in and resume where they left off.

But nobody was coming back. And the house, though normal, had an eerie feel to it. The giant grandfather clock in the hallway ticked and echoed through the halls as Elijah carefully tread on the wooden floorboards.

Christopher pointed up the stairs after both of them had satisfied their curiosity as to what was downstairs. The answer was, not very much. "Her room is up there, first door on the right" he remembered.

Elijah took the first step up the wooden steps, the floor creaking under his shoe. His hand running along the rail as he ascended up. All white doors down the corridor had been closed, but Elijah knew which room it was. Not from Christopher's instructions, but for the sign on the door saying willow's room.

He took the handle and pushed the door open, revealing a semi clean room. The bed still wasn't made from the last time she had gotten out of it, and a few clothes draped over the bed.

Her closet door was open and her makeup had been left all over her dresser.

Christopher came in and knelt down, his hand reaching under the bed and pulling out a suitcase. For someone that hardly ever came in here, he sure knew a lot about where her things were.

Christopher set the case on the bed and opened it up. Willow had quite a lot of stuff in and around her room, Elijah wasn't really sure if he could fit it all in.

But he tried, he started with the closet, taking out her clothes and folding them nicely, putting them neatly into the suitcase. He came across the pink knotted cardigan that he had seen her wear in the photograph at her memorial, a small smile wiped across his mouth as he thought maybe she'd appreciate what he's doing for her.

Eventually, the closet emptied, Christopher was grabbing bits and bobs around the house to put in there, and eventually the case was filling up. Elijah lifted a few pairs of her boots and yes, of course some new pyjamas.

He then directed his attention to the dresser, she didn't need any of her old makeup, she had already somehow procured some new things. But Elijah didn't focus much on that, he lifted up the metallic frame with the words family engraved on it, and the photo was of her and her two carers. It was such a pretty photo, something he was sure she'd want , maybe not now but in the future. So he placed it in the corner of the dresser so he'd remind himself to take it, as he lifted up a jewellery box.

"That was her mother's" Christopher made Elijah jump when he emerged in the doorway behind him "something I managed to salvage from the ruins that was her house, she was really attached to it"

Elijah opened the box, revealing a young figure of a girl in a long dress, twirling along with the music. There was an abundance of chains and pendants all entangled within each other below, and he was sure a few rings were added to the mix aswell. But he shut the box anyway and lifted the frame alongside it.

Elijah placed it in the suitcase before looking to Christopher. "Is that everything?" He asked, but Christopher wasn't finished.

He threw in a small and delicate silver locket as well as a male leather bracelet. "I figured she wanted something of theirs to keep" he said quietly.

Elijah nodded his head and smiled at him, Christopher lost two good people as well, this was all emotional for him. He shut the suitcase and zipped it up, lifting it by its handle and carrying it down the stairs.

"Is there anything else you need before we go?" Elijah asked, sliding the suitcase into the boot of the car and shutting it firmly. All he could think of was Willow's expression when she would see what he had done for her. It was something he looked forward to.

"No" Christopher shrugged, it took him a minute to go through everything and make sure he was finished. The vampire locked the door and jumped into the drivers side of the car.

Silent Running - Hidden Citizens