31

Willow didn't feel safe, she had never felt safe but this time she didn't feel safe because of the unsanitary thoughts she was having. Ripping hearts out, etc.

She had now slept three days with a sharp kitchen knife and a wooden stake by the side of her bed. And of course, Elijah on her other side. But she never knew when the day would come where she'd have to take things into her own hands.

Willow stepped out of the newly constructed vampire gym and previous church. She wiped her forehead and tried catching her breath "you're going to easy on me" she laughed as Elijah stepped out beside her.

"Or you're just getting better" he replied, slicking his hair back "a lot better" and now he was telling himself how good she was.

It had become a regular thing, clearing out the gym and using it for an hour or two just to get her confidence and strength up to as much as they could. If the moment ever arises that she needed to protect herself. But it really wasn't necessary, in one of their earlier conversations, Elijah outlined the extents he'd go through to protect her, and it included dying, she'd tell him she'd rather die than let Tristan take her again.

Willow adjusted her bag strap on her shoulder and looked as they both crossed the road. "Well you should put me to the test then" she nudged Elijah.

"And by that, you mean?" Elijah raised his eyebrow and didn't want to hear what she meant.

"Take me out somewhere" Willow explained " "I'm no use knowing how to fight someone else other than you, I think I'm ready to try someone else, someone that's a real threat"

Elijah sighed, he made a strange expression on his face like he wanted to say no, every fibre of his being wanted to say no. But willow was stubborn, she knew what he was about to say and interrupted him before she heard the word.

"something easy, I feel useless to you all at the minute. Just get me to something easy, but helpful"

Elijah racked his mind for something to say to her or some sort of easy task to give her. Suspected Strix meeting place in a darkened warehouse? Definitely not. He didn't want to take her anywhere near any meeting place or any place where the Strix could be hiding or associated with. Not even a store someone had bought something in.

"I do need to collect a few things for Freya on the outskirts of town" Elijah found the perfect task to make her feel helpful and to keep her safe.

"Really?" Willow didn't look impressed "we're playing mail men? That doesn't seem dangerous"

"Baby steps" he smiled "anyway the herbs are very rare and sought after by other witches, maybe even vampires" he told her.

"Fine" she huffed, wishing for something a little more thrilling other than picking flowers, but she guessed it was a start. If she did this right, maybe they'd trust her with more. "What herbs?"

"She's trying a few things, she's trying to make it so we're immune to the effects of your blood" Elijah said "on a different subject, not regarding the herbs, she's also trying to figure a way out to heal you like vampire blood can heal humans"

"That sounds interesting, and something that would probably help a lot of us" Willow agreed "so, tomorrow then?" She asked

Elijah nodded, he was sure Niklaus could hold the fort for a few hours without destroying the entire place. One could hope.

They carried on walking down the street, passing the crowds as they spoke about tomorrow's task. "Where is it?" "How long does it take to get there?"

Willow wanted to know every single detail about what they were doing, including the name of the herb, the place it is in, what the weather is going to be like, did she need boots or normal shoes, everything down to the last detail.

Elijah answered her every question, looking down at her like she was the best thing in the world.

"I don't know what I'd ever do without you" he pulled her in closer as they walked along "Christopher would've been proud of you today, seeing you fight like that, you've really grown"

Willow didn't realise how long it had been since she had been living with the Mikaelson's, and it had been a hell of a long time.

The sky darkened as she looked up towards the stars, the jazz music had stopped and now Christmas anthems had begun.

But a more sinister thing hid within the shadows, behind the music, behind the Christmas spirit.

The unknowing original and the young girl walked along talking more and more, they were smiling, laughing.

But in reality, they really should be more careful about what they plan out in public, someone could hear every detail.

Run - Hozier