38

Elijah had compelled her to remember what he told her. And it was an hour into the journey and he could hear nothing but the soft music she played through her headphones. She was ignoring him.

"We have-" he went to say, sighing and taking one hand off the wheel to pull a headphone from her ear. "We have a long way to go, you can't keep ignoring me"

"I can do what I want" she turned and looked out of the window "oh wait... I can't, can I?"

"Willow-"

"-no" she stopped him "you don't get the chance to talk because I don't get the chance to either"

Willow put the headphone back in her ear and stared out the window again. But something ate at her, she huffed and pulled the earphones out of her ears. "Stop the car" she demanded.

Elijah looked at her strangely. "What?"

"I said, stop the car" she was shouting now, as if something were wrong. Elijah emergency stopped, his feet slamming on the break.

As soon as the car stopped, willow jerked forward and then proceeded to push the car door open and storm to the boot. She opened it and pulled out her suitcase.

Elijah sped over to see her struggle, his hand rested on hers and stopped her from pulling. "What're you doing?" He asked, very unimpressed.

"One less thing for you to worry about. Don't worry Elijah, I can take it from here" she flicked his hand out of the way and pulled with all her strength on the suitcase handle until it fell out. She stumbled a little as she tried to stabilise it, but it was obvious.

"Don't be stupid" he snatched the suitcase and put it back in the car "get in the car"

"Take me home"

"I am taking you home" Elijah raised his eyebrows "a home where you'd be safe from an early grave"

Willow shook her head with a disgusted look on her face "you really are just a selfish little man, aren't you?" She asked, her tone was serious and Elijah knew she meant every word that she was saying. And it hurt like hell. "Fine. I'll get in the car. Maybe I'm having a lucky escape"

Willow turned around and got back in the car. Only this time she put her phone in the pocket of her rucksack. Maybe if she belittled him, maybe if she made out that she hated him, it would make him change his mind.

But part of Elijah wanted her to hate him. It'll make this entire thing easier.

"I'm sorry" he said, ten minutes after pulling out into the road. "This isn't easy for any of us"

"Then stop this" she rolled her lips together and tried to stay calm, she had to, it was part of her genetic fabric until Elijah would release her. "Let's just go home, okay?" She placed her hand on his and tried the softer method of changing his mind "we can forget about it, I just really wanna go home and get back to bed, with you"

Elijah shook his head. "Every time I close my eyes, I keep seeing you. Different scenarios made up by my own imagination, nightmares. You dying, you being tortured, in pain and I can't help you. And soon enough, one of those would become reality. And you'd die, you'd leave me and I wouldn't know what to do with myself"

"What are you going to do with yourself?" She asked "me forgetting your entire existence and everything we've ever had, it's pretty much like Willow will die. Even though her body will live, you're killing my soul"

She took a deep breath "remember that time, where you were teaching me to fight and I got so het up I ran out crying? You came to me, you sat with me. And that wasn't the first time I had feelings for you, though it was the first time I realised my feelings were quite serious. Do you want me to forget all of that?" She carried on and on and on, hoping she'd chip away at the iron exterior. But all she had was a wooden knife, and Elijah's outer layer was thicker than anything she'd ever seen before.

"If it's to keep you safe" Elijah nodded "id cross oceans"

"But I'm not asking you to cross oceans, I'm asking you to at least give this a few more days, re-think this" Willow pleaded but it wasn't going to work. It was never going to work.

She felt sick. The hours went by slowly, and then a few went quick. She slept part of the way and spent the rest playing on games until her phone died.

They stopped at countless diners, Elijah just wanted to prolong the amount of time he had with her, but everything had to come to an end. And this end was harsh.

The car stopped. Dread filled the air as Willow looked through the window and outside, where her new home would be.

He sped out quickly and unpacked her things from the car. Placing them besides her door. Elijah sat back in the car and looked at her reddened cheeks.

"I can't believe you're doing this to me" she cried, shaking her head slowly. She didn't want to get out of the car, not one bit. But did Willow have any other choice?

Elijah grasped her hand tightly, looking directly into her eyes. She looked away, darting her eyes anywhere but him, but eventually they settled.

"Know that I love you with all of my heart" he said, his voice so soft and hypnotic, his eyes staring dead into hers.

Willow nodded, as if a signal for him to just get it over with.

"When you step out of the car, you will forget everything that's happened to you. You forget your name, your parents, everything that makes you, you." He said "your name is Ashley Davids, you live alone in that apartment, you have just moved from Atlanta and want to find work straight away. You're loving, friendly and such a unique person"

Willow nodded, wiping her eyes with the sleeves of her jacket.

"I love you, I love you so much Willow. I can't let you die, I can't let you live that life." Elijah said again "I know you love me. So besides that, besides our goodbyes, before you exit this car now, is there anything else you want to say to me"

She was under his compulsion still. Willow didn't say anything fluffy, she didn't say I love you or you were the best thing that happened to me.

"It's been one hell of a ride" she cracked a sad smile before opening the car door and stepping out into the snow covered streets.

Within a blink. Ashley was alone, her bags were by the side of her and she looked forward as if a car was supposed to be there, but there wasn't.

She heard bells ring in the distance, the echoing of Christmas Carollers also could be heard. It was Christmas Eve.

Ashley turned around, her breath coming out in puffs of visible air. She stared up at the apartment that she knew to be hers.

"Home sweet home" she said, jingling the keys in her gloved hands. She didn't know what she felt, but this was the start of a new era, good or bad.

Let it go - James Bay