Ang Pang-Limampu't Pito

The sky turned pale as white feathers flew above my head. Bells rang, doves flew, and the big wooden doors opened just in time of my entry. Nakatingin man ang mga mata sakin ay nakangiti naman ako many lumakad, hindi na alintana ang pamamayagpag ng puting bestida sa aking likuran.

As a child, this place gave me peace and meaning. Peace from the sincerity, and meaning from troubles that I brought to it. It wasn't any different now that I grew up.

The world was nothing to me if not for these places. The ones you run to after a long tiring day, or the ones you do not fail to remember while enjoying a hot summer day at the beach. This place, although simpler and much less extravagant, was the closest to the heart.

And what's even better was that you can have multiple special occasions in it so it becomes even more special. Like today.

"You're so pretty, ate! I wish I could be like you when I grow up!"

"I'm sure you'd be prettier and smarter, Tine!" I waved and laughed.

Patuloy ang aking paglalakad.

Kamakailang bati ang ginawa ko sa mga bisita sa bahay habang pumunta kung saan naroon si Papa, my favorite person and place. Nagpahanda kasi ako ng salu-salo isang linggo makalipas nang maiuwi ko na siya.

He's bored to death, and wanted to socialize a bit so I took that opportunity to throw him a mini intimate party for his speedy recovery.

"Saan ka ba nanggaling? Everybody's looking for you, Chrissy," asked my father when I kissed his cheek.

He's looking better and better each day. Ngumiti ako sa kaniya.

"I needed to pick up the cake. Sinundo ko na rin si Kuya sa kapitolyo. Nagtatrabaho nanaman."

"Again with work, Ish? Naku ha, Justice, baka hindi na trabaho ang inaatupag niyang asawa mo. Its a Sunday today and look where he is!" si Tito Bernard, na kinantyawan pa nang ilan naming Tito.

Kumaway ako kay Kuya Ish nang magkatitigan kami. I began to arrange plates to be used later.

"Tito, trust me when I say four girls are already a handful. I have enough already. Work is just an innocent habit."

"And my Kuya got it from this one. Just look at him!" I pointed at my Papa who was shaking his head beside me.

Malaking-malaki ang mga ngiti ko habang pinagmamasdan ang kaniya. Kumikintab ang mga mata, at nakikipag-akbayan sa mga kapatid.

My heart ached at the thought that I wanted so bad to take away my memory of him on death's bed, with the machines and needles on his body but it was imprinted there forever. Hindi na malilimot pa.

"Alright, alright. I couldn't deny that one," he tapped my head and murmured something.

"Its a good thing that Arjuna had already settled his project. It will be a great help, Ishmael."

"Yes, tito."

Praises rained to Arjuna's corner. Hiyang-hiya si Melody dahil pati siya ay nakakantayawan.

"Mabuti na lamang, Chrissy, na hindi ka nagmana sa mommy mo. She's good in hauling supporters for the elections but that's just it!"

"Tita naman..." I grimaced.

"I remembered Mara was one of your first biggest sponsors on your first campaign, Nick. Mga bata pa tayo noon, hindi ba?"

Napataas naman ang aking kilay nang dumako ang tingin kay Papa. Tumingin lamang ito sa aking tiyuhin. Tumagilid ang aking ulo. Napanguso na lamang ako.