Chapter 2: Ready?

Amber's POV:

"10:27" My coach, Mr. Winston, announced, obviously directed at me, as I finished my 2-mile run.

The sun was blazing, and, for once, I didn't mind. I wiped the beads of sweat threatening to roll down the sides of my fave and grabbed my water bottle, taking a quick, refreshing sip.

I slightly turned my head, beginning a friendly conversation with Sasha, one of my cross-country friends. During mid-sentence, I heard someone scream my name, and it wasn't just anybody.

It was Rose.

"Amber! Amber!" She yelped.

I jolted upright and started walking briskly, which eventually turned into a light jog, towards my bestfriend.

"What's wrong?" I questioned, searching her eyes for an emotion, looking for basically anything.

"We.." She paused, catching her breath from running all the way from the main building. "Need to talk." Rose ended her statement.

I stared blankly at her, confused, worried, desperate to find out what it was she needed to tell me.

Is it about me?

My mind wondered off to another world, leaving me standing outside the track I was just at, speechless, emotionless.

Or is it about Marrissa?

Now my thoughts were all over.

I furrowed my eyebrows, hinting Rose that I had no idea what she meant.

"Niall." She whispered softly, just loud enough for me to comprehend.

"Did something happen?" I asked, while the both of us walked slowly to the parking lot where our vehicles were.

Rose shook her head up and down, a slight blush coloring her pale cheeks.

"Something did happen!" I covered my mouth, for two reasons.

1.) I realized how loud I really sounded when I said that.

and

2.) I was trying to hide my excitement for my brunette friend.

Rose stopped in her tracks, faces me for a few seconds, and says, "It's nothing really, but I'll tell you.." She smirked. "Only if you REALLY want to know.."

I gasped at her lame assumption that I wouldn't want to hear what goes on in her life.

"Rose Marie Thompson, you spill right this minute or your grounded!" I mimicked a mother-like figure, but ended up dying of laughter because I knew nobody would ever yell at her like that.

She's way too polite and responsible for that kind of treatment.

Rose understood I was just cracking a joke and chuckled right along with me.

So there we were, standing in the middle of Ridgeway high school's parking lot, laughing like hyenas.

Man, I love my bestfriend.

It took me a few moments to realize that we had reached both of our cars.

"Call you in 10." I recalled and swung my blue mustang's door open, pressing the specifies key in the ignition and driving off.

When I arrived at my dwelling, I entered through the front door, and shouted, loud enough for everyone to hear, that I was home.

As I promised, I called Rose on her cell. About 3 rings later, she picked up.

"Ready?" She breathed into the phone.

"Of course." I replied, adding a nod of my head, like she could see me at that very moment.

My curiosity began to take over after I noticed that there was silence on the other end.

Hey! I'm in the process of writing chapter 3 at the moment so I would appreciate it if you could be a little patient with me as I add more to the book. Thanks for reading this little author's note! Don't forget to comment opinions and vote for any part you like!

~ Hailey