Chapter 26: Unbelievable

Rose's POV:

I blinked hard. My surroundings were not those of a skating rink anymore. There were white walls and a TV, which was probably there to keep me occupied.

Where am I? I wondered, scanning the unusual room once more.

I was trapped in thin white sheets on an uncomfortable bed. There was a needle in my arm containing who knows what and tape with wording around my wrist.

I'm in a hospital room.

But why?

Last thing I remembered was being at the skating rink with Niall and getting ready to leave. That's all. Nothing else. I must've lost my memory or maybe I just forgot about what happened after we left. There was a small knock on my door and I told whoever it was that they could come in.

"Rose." The Irish lad said, complete sadness and anger in his voice. "I'm so sorry for what went on earlier. I didn't plan it.." He apologized. I wriggled my brow and stared at him.

"What happened to me?" I whispered. I couldn't be any louder than that. Quiet was all I was. For now at least. My voice was so raspy, like I smoked 3 packs a day. I wouldn't know my own voice if I was someone else.

"You don't remember?" Niall asked, placing a bouquet of flowers on my side table.

I shook my head no and adored the flowers. Their petals were so silky, so delicate, so beautiful.

"Do you want to know?" I could hear the minor shake in his voice.

"Please" I told him, now my voice cracked. If Niall was going to cry, so was I.

He opened his mouth and began to tell me the story of what happened when we left the skating rink.

"The social media showed up. Their cameras were flashing and I guess they blinded you. You told me that we could just ignore them, that we'd be able to move past them. So we tried your plan. We pushed through the crowd of paparazzi and finally we made it to my car. I was driving down the highway and we stopped for something to eat. We were at a diner and while we were waiting for our food to come out, you went for some fresh air. I understood completely so you left. The food came out. I waited 30 minutes for you to come back. But you never did. I panicked so I ran outside to search for you and.. I found you.. on the ground. There was blood everywhere, Rose. There was nothing I could do to save you besides call 911. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry."

I patted the spot next to me, signaling Niall to sit there.

"Who hit me?" I requested.

I saw the pain that reflected in his eyes, the deep emotion that seemed to be eating his insides, like it was a question he didn't want me to ask. My eye tended to view his hand. There were scratches, blood stains circling the marks, and awful bruises. He noticed my gaze on his beat up hand and ripped it away from me. Niall stood up, oblivious to the fact that I was still there. Then, he went in rage mode. Hot tears streamed down his face and he ran a frustrated finger through his messy blonde hair.

"I knew something was wrong with him, Rose. I knew it. The way he walked, talked. Just his body language in general. I didn't think he would do something like this! I didn't believe he was as cruel and vicious as I witnessed the other day. Rose, I swear I didn't know!"

The Irish boy was sobbing now, trying his best to calm himself down but failing at all tries. He swiped angrily at his face, hiding his emotions from me. Well, just his tears. But I saw them. And they were bringing out the real Niall, the sensitive and emotional one.

"He didn't even seem to care, Rose! He looked at you on the ground like you were supposed to be there! He stepped out of his car like he knew what to do, and when to do it!" His accent was quiet when he continued.

"Rose, it was Harry."