The (Lady of the) Lake

Sonic the Hedgehog sat on the edge of the mountain top, staring out at the land and lake underneath, his love resting her head on his shoulder. The two had been in this position for a while, just relaxing in each other's arms. Now that all the romance was over, they were simply admiring the scenery. However, Sonic was feeling a sense of discomfort. And it had all started when he had begun to gaze at the lake.

At first, he was mesmerized by the clear water which, even though it was night (the sun was down), still shined a pure sky-blue. The almost perfect circular lake had a narrow river flowing through it from the Northern lands all the way here and surely to the South. After staring at it for a few seconds, he began to feel as if he had been here before.

"Wow... Déjà Vu. When have I been here before?" Sonic began to ponder and reflect, trying to remember why he felt like he had been here.

While Sonic was lost in thought, Amy was happily relaxing in Sonic's arms. Today had been one of the greatest days of her life and she was sure there would be many more to follow as long as Sonic stayed with her. While she was thinking about her relationship with Sonic, she felt Sonic slightly tense, his fur raising in a sort of defensive stance. She took her head off of his shoulder and looked up at him to see him deep in thought.

"Sonic? Are you okay?" She asked him, worried.

Her voice broke Sonic out of his thoughts as he looked down at her briefly as he replied,

"Huh? Oh yea I'm fine, Ames. Nothing's wrong." He kissed the top of her head before looking back up at the lake, going back into his deep thinking.

Amy followed his gaze to the lake, wondering what was wrong with the lake and Sonic. However, not long after, she herself began to feel strange feelings about the lake. It felt as if the lake was calling to her, and Amy swore she heard a woman desperately calling her name.

"Amelia... Amelia... Amelia Melanie Rose... welcome home..." The voice spoke in her head.

"My home? But this is the first time I've ever been here! What in Chaos' name is going on?!" Amy wondered, confused by the voice in her head.

Apparently, Amy and Sonic had the same idea as they began to speak, but Sonic ended up beating Amy.

"Hey Ames..."

"Yeah, Sonic?..."

"Would it be okay if we went down to check out the lake?..."

"It's funny, I was about to ask the same thing..."

"Heh... great minds think alike..."

"Come on, Sonic. We know you're not that smart."

Sonic turned to look at her with a 😑 face as Amy giggled, both of them temporarily forgetting the lake. He got up and picked Amy up bridal-style before dashing down the mountain towards the lake.
____________________________________

It took them only about 15 seconds before Sonic was standing close to the lakeshore. He put Amy down, watching as she slowly made her way to the edge of the lake, following after her. As Sonic reached the edge, he was met with a sharp headache as he began to see visions of... the past?

Flashback (Sonic's POV):

My eyes opened to see myself in... a basket? What? I tried to move my arms and legs around but I found that I was stuck in my mind. That's when I realized that 'my body' was moving its arms and legs around... only they were smaller! Like baby-sized! I looked around to see... two more baby hedgehogs: a green male hedgehog and a violet female hedgehog. Oh... my... god... is this Sonia, Manic, and me as babies?