A New Adventure

Sonic sat in his tree, the same tree that sat in the middle of Knothole kingdom, watching over the beautiful landscape. He watched over all the homes, paying close attention to the homes of his closest relations. He was lost in his thoughts, not completely out of concern, but they weren't all happy thoughts.

Man... life was great right now. Tomorrow would be the start of a new adventure, an adventure that he could share with all his friends, especially Amy. He was excited to have people going along with him this time. Though he had gone off alone the last few years, he had not been completely lonely. He had always been offered refuge and care by the people all around the world that he saved. He had made plenty of friends as well, though anyone was a friend in his book as long as they weren't a robot or an egg-shaped human.

Still, meeting all these people and befriending them didn't mean that he didn't miss his family back at home. He was often asked whether he ever felt homesick. Sonic would always answer the same way:

"I'm always home on Mobius."

Everyone knew he could have gone back whenever he wanted to with the speed he was capable of. Some thought that he was simply just another rebel, gifted with unusual abilities. Others believed that he was a warrior of the Southern lands, coming to aid their battle. Then there were the few that believed that he was from the North, now home to the HQ of the evil Empire, that he was trying to finally liberate his home. None of them knew the real reasons: his resolve and his persistence.

Anyone that had known Sonic knew he was persistent. Once he made up his mind, there was nothing that would change it. That fueled a greater cause for why he never returned home sooner: He wanted to prove himself.

Sonic grew up loved by everyone that lived in Knothole. As he had grown older, his peers had high hopes for him. They believed that he would do something great. But what mattered most to him was how his family and friends felt. The Sonic Crew believed in him more than anyone and they supported him. The adults held onto the belief that he was the Chosen One, that he would save them all. His younger friends simply believed in him because of his good character. Sonic wasn't oblivious to any of this, he knew about the all the hopes and dreams that rested on his shoulders. Yet he didn't let that pressurize him, he let them give him reason: to make all those dreams come true.

At a very young age, Sonic had become aware of the imminent and constant danger present in all there lives. That's why he fought, to protect those that he loved.

That last thought took him back to the plan for tomorrow. Now that he would be adventuring with his closest friends and family, he'd have to be extra careful. He couldn't be as careless as he was by himself. That had gotten him on the wrong side of Amy's hammer. But he wasn't concerned about his safety as much as he was for his companions. Now he'd have to take care of them as well. As far as he knew, none of them had experience far from home on the road. He couldn't let anyone hurt. Sonic was suddenly reminded of that event years ago, his first interaction with Robotnik's forces when Sonia, Cream, and Amy were captured by them. He could feel anger building in him.

That was something he had made sure to never talk with anyone again... that transformation. He still thought about it every once in a while, wondering what had happened. He'd feel afraid of himself and sometimes even considered staying away from his friends out of fear that he might hurt them.

But it was fine... he was Sonic the Hedgehog. As long as he was there, they'd be fine and have loads of fun.

With that final thought, Sonic decided to go to sleep. But not before turning to face Amy's house and taking a quick glance at the sleeping beauty in her bed. He finally closed his eyes and fell into the deep void of sleep.
____________________________________