A New Friend

"Tikal..."

Luckily for Knuckles, no one had heard him utter the short word. His former confusion now having been cleared, Knuckles looked over at Sonic who was still holding his hand to the surface of the Master Emerald. He seemed to be staring into the Emerald, as if he was trying to find something... or someone within the beautiful rock. If any of Sonic's friends had noticed Knuckles, it would have seemed like he was having his own mental conversation with the rock.

As if he heard the harmonious voice of an angel from the Emerald, Knuckles' frustrated complexion softened as his gaze slowly shifted from the Emerald to Sonic. This hedgehog had caused the Emerald to emit light that Möbius hadn't seen in centuries.

"He really is the Chosen One..." Knuckles muttered, as he watched the Hedgehog, surrounded by his friends with the emerald-aura still surrounding the group.

Knuckles walked over to the group, catching their attention. They looked over expecting him to say something.

"You... I'm ready to help you guys save Möbius." Knuckles declared, the expression of a soldier on his face.

"But why? And how?" Manic asked, puzzled yet excited.

Sonic gazed into Knuckles' violet irises with Amy by his side, waiting for the answer.

"My eternal duty has been to protect the Master Emerald. From anyone with evil intentions or from anyone trying to take it. But I realize now that I can't do that alone, the greatest threats to the Emerald come from out their in the world. I can read the Master Emerald's energies and use them to pinpoint the locations of the Chaos Emeralds for you guys. But I still have to stay here and keep watch." Knuckles paused, his serious expression never leaving his face.

"And as for why I'm helping you... it's because you guys are my friends... and what kind of friend would I be if I didn't help my friends?" Knuckles grinned, earning a grin from Sonic and the others as well.

Manic started snickering.

"Ha! You'd be a pretty terrible friend."

Unfortunately for him, his snickering was quickly upended when he received a smack on the back of his head by his sister.

"Alright, guys! We've wasted a lot of time! We've got Emeralds to gather! Adventures to continue! Let's get to it!" Tails exclaimed with the rest of the group agreeing.

"Can we take a break first? We've been fighting or running all day!" Complained Manic, Sally shook her head and giggled, sweat-dropping at her... friend's actions.

Knuckles nodded his head.

"I'll have to agree with Manic on that one. Even though we've all been healed magically, it'd be good to rest."

The group nodded as they found spots around the shrine to rest, all except for Sonic who remained standing, looking around the area.

Amy turned around, noticing her boyfriend standing still.

"Aren't you going to rest, Sonic? You and Knuckles need it more than the rest of us. You guys have been fighting the most."

Sonic scanned the area a little longer before he met Amy's jade orbs.

"Yeaaaa... I'm gonna take a quick run! There's so much to see here!"

Amy shook her head, smiling at him.

"Alright but be careful... and be here soon! I can't cuddle a branch, can I?"

The blush on Sonic's face made everyone laugh before he quickly shot away, leaving a streak of blue.