Chapter 1

"I told you all we would have a music test today so let's cut the groaning, yeah?" The young brunette chuckles to herself.

"Yes, Mrs. Cabello-Jauregui." A few of the students mutter. The teacher would be lying if she said hearing her hyphenated last name didn't make her heart jump out of her chest every time it graced her ears. Three years of dating and one year of marriage later and anything related to the green-eyed girl still makes her heart race.

Camila sits down at her desk after handing out the tests to her students and monitors the 7th graders sitting in front of her. A faint buzzing sound coming from her desk drawer catches her attention, but she doesn't make a move to reach for her phone because she knows that some of her students would take that as their cue to lean over and get answers from the person next to them. She would do the same thing in middle school as soon as her teacher looked away, but she is not having it in her own classroom.

The young teacher spends the next 30 minutes watching her students struggle and listening to them sigh. Her lips form a slight smirk at the dramatic students before her. They all act as if she has not been telling them they were having a test on this exact day for the last couple of weeks. In attempt to diminish her boredom, the brunette finds herself actually counting the number of sighs she hears. There is an average of about 5 a minute. She is about to count the next minute, but the abrupt opening of her classroom door breaks her from her thoughts and almost makes her fall out of her chair. Before she can get a word out to the culprit who is interrupting her class, the culprit who clearly overlooked the "do not disturb" sign on her door, she sees her favorite pair of green-eyes staring into hers.

Her heart flutters for a second, but then she notices that something is off. She can tell the minute their eyes lock that something is wrong. Lauren quietly walks over to her wife and starts to gather up her belongings. Camila opens her mouth to object.

"Lauren, what are you doing?" She whispers as she watches the green-eyed woman stuff her purse and her cell phone into the bag with bananas on it that she retrieved from her shoulder. One that obviously belongs to Camila. She focuses her attention back on her students and they are all looking at her and Lauren with furrowed eyebrows. The brunette knows that her own expression mirrors those of her students, but she doesn't know what to tell them. She is just as confused as they are.

"Come with me." Lauren finally speaks up, her raspy voice laced with something that raises the hairs on Camila's arms. Fear. The green-eyed girl quickly slings the bag back over her shoulder and grabs her wife by the arm. A little too tightly for Camila's liking, but she is still too shocked and confused to speak up. Before Camila can protest, she is already standing in the empty hallway that smells like puberty and gym bags. Lauren finally lets go of her arm and continues to walk to the end of the hallway toward the door, but Camila doesn't take a step forward. Her eyes continuously dart between her wife and the door to her classroom.

As soon as the green-eyed girl realizes her wife isn't following her, she spins around and crosses her arms. "Camila, c'mon." Lauren runs her fingers through her thick curls and sighs.

"Babe, I'm teaching. I'll get fired if I just leave." Camila whispers as she places her hand back on the doorknob. She watches the green-eyed girl's eyes soften as she makes her way back to the younger girl.

"I know baby, but it's an emergency okay? We have to go. I'll explain everything in the car." Lauren states calmly as she gently tucks a strand of brown hair behind Camila's ear.

"No explain now, Lauren. This is my job we are talking about." The younger of the two crosses her arms hastily. Lauren just huffs and in one swift motion she slings her wife over her shoulder and starts to make her way to the exit at the end of the hallway.