Chapter 27

Camila downs another glass of champagne as she watches Lauren talk with her group of friends.

Fuck she looks so good tonight, Camila thinks as she looks the green-eyed girl up and down. She starts at the girl's black heels and then admires how great her ivory legs look in contrast to the sparkly black dress she is wearing. Her hair is pulled back in a messy ponytail and she has little strands of hair framing her face. Camila's eyes settle on her red stained lips and the younger brunette finds herself smiling when she watches Lauren laugh at something her friends say. When she realizes she's been staring for far too long, she immediately tears her eyes away from Lauren and grabs another glass of champagne from a passing waiter.

It's New Years Eve and Lauren decided to throw a party at her childhood home in Miami. Her parents were going to visit Taylor for the holidays and they gave Lauren their consent to have the party at their house while they are away. She called up a lot of her high school and college friends and even hired a catering company to supply food and drinks for everyone.

"I see you over here eye fucking green eyes." Dinah sneaks up next to her best friend and takes the glass of champagne from her hand to take a swig of it. "She's yours, you just gotta claim her."

"I hate my fucking heart for beating so fast when I'm around her and the butterflies. Oh, don't even get me started on how they literally invade my stomach anytime Lauren is within 10 feet of me." Camila huffs as she runs a hand through her messy curls.

"Sounds like you've made your choice." Dinah informs the confused girl. "Listen, Chanch, if he is holding you back or if you're scared of him, just know you don't have to be. We will all protect you from him."

Camila shudders when she remembers her territorial ex boyfriend. "It's not him really. I haven't heard from him since Lauren blocked his number from my phone." The Latina admits. "I'm scared of how she makes me feel. She looks at me like I'm her everything and I'm terrified that she will get into a relationship with me and realize that I'm nothing special. I'm terrified that she'll get into a relationship with me and I'll let her down because I'm not the same girl she fell in love with."

"You are the same girl, Chanch." Dinah places her arm around the brunette's shoulders. "You are just a little more guarded, that's all."

"Thanks for the support, Cheech." Camila leans her head on Dinah's shoulder. "I couldn't live without you."

"Damn right you couldn't." Dinah kisses her on the head and Camila just rolls her eyes.

"Mila, if you're lonely, we can just make this New Years kiss a three way." Normani suggests as she approaches the two girls.

Camila just lifts her head from Dinah's shoulder and scrunches up her nose in disgust."I love you two, but no thanks."

"Sure, Chanch? I'm a really good kisser." Dinah wiggles her eyebrows. "Right, baby?" The blonde turns to her dark-skinned fiance.

"Damn right you are." Normani winks at her.

"Okay, the clock strikes midnight in like 2 minutes and I really don't wanna be around when you two devour each other." Camila grabs her glass of champagne back from Dinah and makes her way to the nearest bathroom. She sets the drink down on the side of the sink and checks herself in the mirror.

She runs her fingers through her hair a few times and smiles when her eyes fall to her chest area and she sees the sun pendant hanging from her neck. She brings her right hand up and rubs her thumb across it momentarily before dropping her hand and glancing at her reflection one last time.

Camila starts to hear the countdown from 60 seconds and her hands start to shake.

It's now or never, Camila. This is what you want. This is what you've always wanted, even if you forgot momentarily. The Latina gives herself an internal pep talk.