Chapter 18

"Thank you so much for going with me to LA it really does mean so much to me." Camila smiles at her group of friends before loading her suitcase into the trunk of Dinah's car.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world, Chanch." Dinah assures the brunette as she slides into the driver's seat.

"Yeah, Mila, we wouldn't miss this." Mani smiles at the Latina.

"Mani you just didn't want to miss out on seeing California." Ally chuckles and the dark-skinned girl swats at her arm.

"We will always support you, Camz." Lauren replies and Camila, who opted to take the front next to Dinah, turns around to give her a warm smile.

"Thanks, Lo." Camila offers her a wink and Dinah scoffs.

"And Dinah and Mani and Ally." She reminds her best friend that Lauren isn't the only one going on this trip.

"Thank you all." The young Latina sticks her tongue out at Dinah before buckling her seat belt and tucking her feet under her. "What do y'all want to listen to?"

"Beyonce!" The engaged couple shouts in unison.

"The 1975." Lauren suggests.

"Tori Kelly!" Ally pipes up.

Camila laughs at the different suggestions as she scrolls through her phone. "Ed Sheeran it is." She announces and they all roll their eyes.

"What in the hell was the point of you asking?" Dinah looks over at the girl incredulously.

The brunette just shrugs nonchalantly. "I was putting him on anyway. I just wanted to be nice and offer."

"You're lucky we love you... and the British ginger." Dinah shakes her head before returning her attention back to the road.

When they arrive at the airport, they board their plane and are off to the West Coast.

"I hate planes." Lauren voices her fear of flying as she wipes her sweaty palms on her jeans.

"Oh, so that's the reason you put me on the plane and didn't get on it yourself." Camila chuckles, but soon stops when Lauren doesn't join in on the laughter. When she looks at the green-eyed girl, one of her perfectly sculpted eyebrows are raised. "Sorry." Camila smiles sheepishly.

"You love to make jokes about horrible moments don't you?" Lauren shakes her head and Camila just shrugs.

"It's a defense mechanism, I guess. Laughing is better than dwelling on things you can't change." She answers honestly.

"You always see the positive in a negative situation. One of the many things I adore about you." Lauren admits and Camila feels a blush creeping up on her cheeks. Instead of answering, she just leans her head on Lauren's shoulder.

"Can I tell you a secret?" The young Latina asks, her voice only a whisper.

"Always." Lauren promises.

"I'm scared that they'll want to sign me. If they sign me, I'll have to release my songs into the world and I'll have to listen to people criticize them and me if they don't like them." The musician voices her concerns.

"There will be people who will criticize your music. I can assure you that. However, there will also be people who will fall in love with your songs. There will be people who listen to them when they need to be cheered up and people who listen to them when they need a song to mend their broken heart. There will be boys and girls of all ages who will idolize you because your music changed their lives." Lauren pauses for a moment to gather her thoughts. "I've heard your music, Camz. It's fucking amazing. Those songs deserve to be released into the world because the world always could use some good music to make it a better place. There are people out there who are searching for sounds that they've never heard before and your sound could be just what they are searching for." Lauren smiles as she studies the girl laying on her shoulder.