Chapter 57

Black.

That's all Camila sees when she looks around her.

Black suits. Black dresses. Black sunglasses.

The only things that aren't covered in black are the grass beneath her high heel clad feet and the two caskets that are less than 5 feet away from her. She chokes back a sob as her eyes rake over the shiny rectangles boxes that now hold the two people who gave her life.

Sofi is standing at her right side, wearing a sleeveless dress with a big bow on the front. Her little bottom lip hasn't stopped quivering since she woke this morning.

Lauren is standing at her left side, wearing a long-sleeved black dress. The green-eyed girl has one arm wrapped around Camila's waist and her other hand is holding onto her hand.

All of their friends and family came to support Camila and Sofi. Dinah, Ally, Normani, Shawn, and all of Lauren's family are standing behind the three girls. Ally and Shawn even brought Cam to the funeral because they knew the pup could cheer Camila up. The two of them have been taking turns keeping Cam after Lauren insisted that Camila's night terrors may scare the dog.

Camila's family are all standing on the opposite side of the caskets. The Cuban was never really very close with anyone on her mom or dad's side of the family. Sinu lost both of her parents at a young age and Alejandro's only came around on holidays. During the majority of the service, both girls try their best to ignore the rude looks that they are getting from Camila's relatives. They obviously have the same views as Sinu and Alejandro when it comes to Camila's sexuality.

The younger Latina is doing a better job at the ignoring part than Lauren though. The green-eyed girl makes sure to send them a few glares here and there when she catches them staring disapprovingly at her and her wife.

Lauren watches her wife the entire funeral, her heart breaking at the sight of the love of her life looking so broken. It kills her to know that there's nothing she can do to take Camila's pain away. She would take it all away in a heartbeat if she could.

The younger brunette finds herself lost in her thoughts for the entirety of the funeral. It is not until she hears a small thud that she realizes that they have lowered both caskets into the ground. She feels a bunch of pats on her shoulder and she even allows herself to be pulled into a hug by her friends and family. However, she just stands there, her eyes trained on the two graves before her.

When the funeral is over, Lauren finally decides to speak up and break Camila from her trance.

"Baby, the service is over. Are you ready to go?" Lauren leans in and whispers softly in Camila's ear. The younger brunette just shakes her head. She's not ready to go because she knows that next time she returns to this very spot, there will be 6 feet of dirt between her and her parents and it will all feel too real... too final. "Take your time, Camz."

The younger brunette feels something wet nudge her hand and she looks down to see her not so small puppy sitting beside her, his tongue hanging out of his mouth. For the first time this entire day, she cracks a smile at the sight. When he nudges her hand again, she lets go of Lauren's and sits down in the grass next to him, not caring one bit if the mud from the ground ruins her dress.

"Hi, buddy. I've missed you." She cooes as she scratches the pup behind his ears. He thanks her by licking the right side of her face. She giggles at the unexpected gesture and Lauren's heart does somersaults when she hears her favorite sound. She hasn't heard it in a few days and she's missed that laugh so damn much.

"I'm going to go see my parents off, I'll be right back." Lauren leans in and plants a kiss to Camila's cheek.

"Can I go with you, Lolo?" Sofi asks and Lauren turns around and pats her back.