Chapter 8

Lauren puts the finishing touches on her make up and slides on her black pantsuit. Today, she has a job interview for the Applied Arts Instructor position at Miami Arts & Design Education. The woman she co-owns the art studio with in Venice mentioned that she had a friend in the Miami area that worked at M.A.D.E and last night she called Lauren to tell her that she has a job interview at 5 pm.

After applying her red lipstick and fixing a few stray hairs, the artist grabs her car keys and heads to the door. She turns off her music and finds herself humming the last song that was playing while she was getting ready.

"Crawling back to you. Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? Cause I always do." The brunette sings as she exits her apartment and turns around to lock the door. "Maybe I'm too busy being yours..." She abruptly stops singing when she turns around and comes face to face with an amused Camila. A blush rises up to settle on the green-eyed girl's cheeks.

"Never took you as an Arctic Monkeys kinda girl." Camila smirks as she slings her guitar case on her back.

"They are a hell of a band." Lauren comments, praying her face isn't as red as it feels.

"Agreed." Camila smiles. "So where you headed, business woman?" Brown eyes scan the beautiful girl in front of them.

"Job interview at Miami Arts & Design Education." She smiles while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Guess you are headed to a gig?" Lauren points to the guitar case sitting on the former teacher's back.

"Yep and I probably should go. Don't want to keep the fans waiting." The brunette chuckles as she sends Lauren a quick wink and starts to descend down the stairs. Lauren laughs and follows Camila down the stairs.

"See ya, Lauren." Camila waves when they hit the bottom of the stairs and Lauren frowns when she notices that Camila is walking away from the parking lot.

"Are you walking there?" Lauren blurts out before Camila can take another step away from her.

The brunette turns around. "Yeah." She sighs. "The medical bills after the attack were fairly expensive and I just got them all paid off a couple of months ago. I guess a car has been the last thing on my mind." She shrugs. "Dinah usually drives me anywhere I want to go, but she's at work and the bar is only a mile away so I just walk."

The young teacher looks so small to Lauren at the moment and all the green-eyed girl wants to do is scoop her up in her arms and protect her from the world. She knows she can't do that, so she brings her hand up to fiddle with the wedding band around her neck. Camila's eyes fall as she watches Lauren toy with the ring around her neck.

"Is that um..." The young brunette points to the round piece of jewelry.

"Yeah." Lauren breathes out. "It was... well is yours."

"Oh." Is all the former teacher mutters. Camila never knew something so little could be strong enough to send the muscle in her chest all the way to her stomach. But it was.

Lauren scratches the back of her neck, unsure of what to say as well. She has a lot to say, actually, but Camila wouldn't be comfortable hearing it. Not yet anyway. Lauren despises awkwardness so she quickly tries to relieve some of it. She bows down and extends her hand to the girl in front of her. The former teacher quirks an eyebrow up at Lauren's weird gesture, but doesn't say anything. "May I be your chauffeur for the day, Ms. Camila?" Lauren tries out her best British accent and Camila doubles over laughing. When she finally composes herself, she sees that Lauren is still bowed down dramatically.

Rolling her eyes playfully, Camila slides her hand in Lauren's and tries to mimic Lauren's horrible British accent. "I would be delighted if you would." Lauren just shakes her head in amusement as she escorts Camila to the car, relishing in the feeling of Camila's hand in hers again. After the two get settled in the Charger, Lauren plugs in her phone and turns on another song she knows Camila likes. The Arctic Monkeys remind Lauren of Camila, considering the younger girl introduced Lauren to the band.