Chapter 28

"So, any preference today, England?" America asked him at the breakfast table, food in his mouth once again.

It was the day after their baking excursion and a new activity was upon them. England shrugged, not wanting to give an option in fear that it would force America to agree with him without any objection.

"Well," America started off. "Since we stayed in yesterday, why don't we do something outside?" he proposed.

As nodding seemed to become a habit for England, he once again agreed without objecting. Perhaps it was time to do something other than food and running away.

"Alright then! Since you talk or talked about unicorns a lot, I thought that we could do something close to that today! Let's go to a stable! I have one just a bit away from here. It shouldn't be that long of a drive there."

They set out on their journey with horseback riding in mind.

"So," America said as he drove them to his stable. "Have you ridden a horse before?"

England pondered over his response, wondering if he should tell the truth or not.

"They weren't exactly a horse."

America looked at him through the mirror. "Are you saying you rode something other than a horse? Was it at least similar?"

"Perhaps," England replied, not wanting to open a conversation for teasing.

Arriving at the ranch, America parked the car and went to go talk to some people helping at the stable. England looked around the stable, gazing at the different horses around him. Some were running, others were grazing among their herds. One exception stood out. But before England could get a better look at them, he found himself being called by America.

"England! Everything's all set up for us, so let's go!" America said gleefully, jumping up and down with excitement. As they walked, England found some happiness building in him at the thought of being able to ride a something similar to what he had before.

He walked over with America to the wooden gate that closed the fence around the horses. America opened the gate to let the two of them in before closing it behind them. In front of them was the equipment necessary to ride the horses.

"Do you know how to put these on?" America asked England.

England shook his head no. America thought for a moment before whistling and calling out, "Liberty! Here, girl!" The sound of hooves came towards them as a light honey brown horse came trotting towards them.

"England, this is Liberty. Liberty, England," America told him, introducing them to each other. "I'll demonstrate how to properly put the riding equipment on a horse. After we can go find one for you!"

Demonstrating, America showed the him the steps and found that he learned quickly.

"Wow, good job, England," he praised. "So, were there any horses you saw on the way over here that caught your eye?"

England nodded shyly, before asking America if he could follow him over there. America agreed, hopping onto Liberty as England walked over to the unknown horse he saw earlier.

He made it over to where the mystery horse was, approaching the lonely equine.

"Hey," England said softly to it, seeing the weariness in its eyes. The horse had a coat of almost pure white, minus some speckles of grey dotting it. The mane was also a white colour, nothing tainting the purity of it.

"England, are you sure about this horse? It's a bit of a recluse. We found him injured on the side of the road and he's been skittish ever since," America warned him.

England simply shushed him quietly, not caring about what his actions could have done. America's eyes opened wide at the that small action England did. He watched as England lifted a hand up slowly at started petting the horse on his head. Shock filled him even more as the horse responded gently to his touch, not moving away.

"Well then," America said astonished. "He's fine wth you. His name is Spirit. At least, that's what we called him."

"That seems like a perfect name for him," England said absentmindedly as he continued to pet Spirit. Eventually taking the riding equipment from America, he put them on Spirit. Spirit had no qualms with England as he pulled himself up onto Spirit's back.

"I wonder why he opened up to you and not anyone else," America said to England confused.

"Perhaps he saw that there was someone else who knew how he felt, despite them being another species," England said quietly.

"Well, let's ride, shall we?" England told America with a faint smile on his face.

All America could do was nod as the two rode throughout the day without any cares about their duties.

Sorry about not uploading last week once again! Way too tired and motivation was completely gone. Thanks for voting and reading this story!
See ya at the next update!
- Starlite