Chapter 38

Nightfall came after the two nations arrived at America's house.

"G'night! See you in the morning!" America waved, heading off to his own room.

England nodded, and went his own way as well, stifling a yawn. He drowsily got ready for bed, climbing into his bed eagerly. About to fall asleep, his thoughts drifted over to how his day went with America. The tiny duckling that had approached him courageously, the other ducks that America had fun with, the picnic. What America had said to him stuck in his mind for awhile before he moved on to other thoughts. His eyes started to drift closed as sleep tried to lull him in. About to follow, he was cut off as his eyes snapped opened and a new thought opened his head.

"Why am I still here? I've been here willingly for more than a few days now! What happened to trying to get away? To trying to find ways to get away from here and back to somewhere else? What am I doing?" England thought, rushed as realisations hit him.

Sleep now tossed over into a corner, he lay there, realising what he's been doing. He sat up, rolling up his sleeve, fumbling around with something. His eyes widening in realisation as time seemed to slow down around him. His heartbeat echoed within his mind, shock flowing through his body. No muscles willing working, all he could do was sit there. Tears sprung into his eyes, unable to comprehend what was happening. Thoughts at war in his mind, he was at a loss for what to do. A thought rose above the others, his heart agreeing with it.

"One more day. I'll spend one more day with America."

With a torrent of thoughts still swarming his mind, he eventually laid down, with fitful sleep following. Wrapped around his arm was the leather bracelet turned inside out. Now visible, a latch lay there, undone.