Chapter 15

1-1-14

Happy New Years everyone! :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                I was actually in a good mood when I woke up because I had a text from Preston saying:

                Good morning. (: Have a good day! Oh and remember, I’m going to call you when you get out of school so try to keep your phone on.

                So when I got to school and was smiling, Winter and Carter’s jaws dropped. Let’s just say that I haven’t come to school in the morning with a smile on my face since… well, never actually.

                They approached me slowly, sending each other glances. Then they looked at me.

                “Lyyyla…? Do you feel alright?” Winter asked hesitantly. I held back a laugh and nodded. Carter just stared at me, raising an eyebrow and keeping his distance like I’m a bomb that’ll go off at any moment. Which, to them, I am.

                “Yeah, I feel fine. Guess what?!” They looked at each other again and then back to me.

                “What?” Winter asked. I grinned and shook my head.

                “Don’t worry. I’m not going to attack anyone. Do you remember the guy that I told you guys about?” Winter nodded and her eyes lit up while Carter just stood there, lips pressed into a thin line. “Well, we went on another date last night. He drove me home and then walked me to the porch. I was about to go inside but then,” Winter grinned happily, guessing what I’m about to say, “he asked me to be his girlfriend!” My voice grew a little hushed but excited at the end. I don’t want everyone to know about my personal life. But of course with a friend like Winter that’s not an option. She started to jump around happily, grinning and grabbing my hands as she hopped.

                “OH MY GOSH I CAN’T BELIEVE HE-“ I slapped a hand over her mouth and she stopped jumping, narrowing her eyes at me. A few people gave us weird looks and then went back to whatever they were doing before when they lost interest.

                “Sorry Winter. I know you’re excited and so am I but I don’t want everyone to know.” Her eyes widened in understanding and she gave me an apologetic look as I dropped my hand.

                “Sorry,” she murmured.

                “It’s fine.” I smiled and laughed a little bit as she started bouncing a bit again.

                “I’m so happy for you! I better get to meet him soon; I have to make sure he’s good for you and let him know that if he hurts you he’ll never be able to have kids once I’m done with him.” I held back a laugh and smiled at her, turning to look at Carter. He’s standing there with an emotionless expression, lips pressed into a line and eyes hard. My eyebrows scrunched together and just when I was about to ask him what was wrong, he opened his mouth first.

                “I’ve gotta go to Math- I have a question about the homework.” With that he turned and stalked across the parking lot and through the front doors. I watched him go worriedly but then Winter’s still-happy face appeared in my line of sight as she pulled me toward the school too. We passed Jacob, who doesn’t have any girls surrounding him like every other morning. I can see them eyeing him from across the lot though. I wonder what’s up with that. He caught my gaze, eyes cold. I sucked my bottom lip into my mouth and kept walking, looking away. What’s everyone’s problem with me today?