Chapter 20

1-26-14

Pic of Michael one time when they were at the park ------->

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                “Winter…” I sighed. She flashed puppy eyes at me and I narrowed my own eyes at her, crossing my arms over my chest. “You’re seriously gonna go there… again?” I asked. She nodded, still gazing at me with her wide hazel eyes and a puckered lip. Sighing again, I dropped my arms and fell back onto the couch. “Fine. I’ll go to the fucking party. But if you get drunk and leave without me…” she squealed happily and I winced.

                “I won’t! You can borrow one of my dresses but we have to hurry. Come on!” She grabbed my arm and yanked me up. Even though she’s only about an inch shorter than me, she’s still really strong. She only let me stop in the kitchen long enough to write Mom a note and then we were moving again. Memories from the last party she drug me to flashed through my mind and I shuddered, biting my lip as I allowed her to pull me out the door and down the driveway to her car.

                I got in the passenger seat while she slid into the driver’s, starting the car and taking off down the street. I stared out the window until we reached her house. I barely had time to blink before my door was yanked open and Winter was lugging me out of my seat. I hardly managed to keep myself balanced and not fall on my face. Glaring at her, I released myself from her grip and kept a safe distance as we went into the house.

                When we reached her room she went straight to the closet. Not even two seconds later I heard her cursing and clothes came flying through the air, landing in a heap on the floor. Not surprised, I sunk down onto her mattress and closed my eyes. It’s nine o’clock on a Saturday night.

                I spent most of today doing errands and I stopped at the library to rent some more books and renew the one that I’m reading. I’m rereading the Percy Jackson series for the fifth time and it seems like they get better every time. I’m on the third book right now. Hey, don’t judge. Those books are hella good.

                So now I’m tired and I could be sleeping but nooo. My lovely best friend is dragging me to yet another party.

                The thoughts came back again and, like I always do, I pushed them away. I don’t want to think about that right now. Winter doesn’t know what happened at the other party and I intend to keep it that way. She doesn’t need to feel guilty about something that she had no control over. Besides, nothing happened. Jacob got there before anything could but that still doesn’t mean that it didn’t scare the shit out of me.

                I started to doze off and finally fell asleep to the sound of hangers clacking together, the soft thud of clothes landing on the carpet, and Winter’s quiet cussing.

…………

                I stood by the living room door nervously, feeling out of place and jumpy. I pulled the hem of the short dress down a little bit more. I managed to convince her to let me wear a longer dress than last time. The one she was trying to get me to wear would have barely covered my ass. This one goes down to my mid-thigh and it’s a light baby blue color.

                So far Winter has kept her promise about not getting drunk but she wandered off a little while ago. Every time she goes to parties or clubs she flirts with a bunch of guys and just lets go. Sometimes I wish I was able to do that. The only time I can relax is when I’m at home in my room with a book or sketchbook and pencil in my hands. Or sometimes when I’m with a certain guy with black hair and blue eyes…