Chapter 17

1-14-14

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                “What the hell are you doing here Jacob?” I snarled, scowling up at him. He stood in front of me with his hands is his pockets, those breathtaking blue orbs focused on my face. He studied me, his eyes roaming from my face down my body and back up to meet my eyes again. The breath caught in my throat when he looked at me, smoldering with his eyes.

                “Well someone’s in a bad mood. Are we a little bit grumpy this evening?” That all-too-familiar smirk formed on his lips and I rolled my eyes, moving to slam the door in his face. I’m still not fully awake and I’m still pissed off about earlier. I’m definitely not in the mood to deal with his shit right now.

                I didn’t get that far however, because he shoved his foot between the door and the frame to stop it from closing completely. I shot daggers at him through the small space, shoving harder against the door in an attempt to get him to move his foot. It didn’t work of course and I cursed under my breath. Giving up, I flung it open and threw my arms up in frustration.

                “What do you want?!” I almost yelled, making him raise his eyebrows with a mix of amusement and surprise plastered on his face. He pressed his lips together to keep from smiling. The smirk was still in place and I was really tempted to reach up and slap it off that obnoxiously handsome face of his. Whoa Lyla, calm down. There’s no need to be violent. Other than the fact that he woke me up when I was still tired and won’t leave me alone… I shook my head to clear it and continued to glare at him icily.

                “Alright, princess. Don’t get your panties in a twist.” I bit my tongue against the words that threatened to spill out, none of them pleasant in the slightest. He shot me a smug look and continued. “I just came over to tell you that I talked to Britney about earlier. I made her promise not to tell anyone else. I know it won’t get rid of the rumor, but there’s not much I can do about that. Rumors like that spread fast in high school.” He shrugged and my eyes widened slightly in surprise.

                “Um… alright. Thanks.” He nodded and turned, striding down the stairs and back to his house. Closing the door, I pressed my back against it and ran a hand through my hair, sighing in frustration. Why would he care if people think we’re dating? I thought he would just ignore it like he always does. Am I really that weird and unattractive?

                I grimaced when hurt flashed through my chest. No girl wants to hear that a guy, even if she doesn’t like him, is embarrassed about his name even being mentioned with theirs. I sure as hell don’t want that rumor going around and, like he said, we can’t stop it. But that didn’t stop me from putting myself down. Sighing again, I pushed off the door and slipped up the stairs to my room.

…………

                “Lilla!” I heard a little excited scream and then footsteps as Michael ran across the kitchen. Smiling, I turned just as he rammed into my legs, wrapping his small arms around them and beaming up at me. Leaning down, I scooped him up into my arms and spun him around. He giggled happily and when I stopped he grinned at me, kissing my cheek. I kissed his back and then set him gently on his feet.

                I watched as he stood on his tiptoes with his hands on the edge of the counter, trying to see what I made for dinner. I shook my head. He’s always hungry when he comes home.

                “Lilla? What’s dis?” He pointed to the pan and I smiled at him when he turned his head to look at me, still pointing at it.