Chapter 43

5-24-14

So does anyone play Minecraft? I really want to play with people who aren't trolls and basically everyone ignores me when I play on popular servers. :(  I'm unloved.

Hope you guys enjoy this after that cliffhanger last chapter! ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preston,” he ground the name out stiffly through his teeth, “is my half-brother.” I froze.

Jacob kept pushing me but stayed quiet, not saying anything else as my mind tried to take in his words.

Preston… is his… what?!

How the hell- what is he even trying to- I can’t believe this. I won’t. He’s just playing with me.

This is some kind of sick joke and he’s going to start laughing any second.

When he continued to be silent I finally managed to move and shot out of the swing, whipping around on my heel to face him. Jacob caught the swing and stared back at me, his eyes deadly serious and showing nothing but pure honesty and anger-not directed at me but still there.

My mouth dropped open but no words came out. Instead I released a breath of air and ran my hands through my hair roughly, gripping it between my fingers. My lips pressed tightly together as I started to pace, feeling Jacob’s grim eyes on me the whole time.

“Why?...” I trailed off and released a sharp breath, my cheeks puffing out a little from it. I shook my head violently and glared at the ground. “Why didn’t you tell me this sooner? Did you not feel that it was important enough that I needed to know?” My voice got slightly higher and angrier at the end and my pacing quickened.

“I mean I dated that bastard and he almost…” My steps faltered and I held my head in my hands, standing in place and taking deep breaths. I felt a headache start to come on and squeezed my eyes tightly shut. Why didn’t Jacob tell me this before?

My eyes snapped open and I looked over to see that he’s staring at me with an annoyed look on his face.

“I don’t see why you’re making such a big deal out of this. It wasn’t something that I needed to tell you.”

“Then why did you? If you don’t think I needed to know then why the hell did you even bother telling me today?” He shot me a scorning look and then moved his eyes from mine, turning his head and glaring off into the distance.

“I thought you could handle it. I didn’t think you would act like a little brat and throw a tantrum over it.”

Brat?” I scoffed and shook my head, disbelieving. Then I dropped my hands and clenched them into fists at my sides. “Thanks for the food.” I bit out sarcastically at him.

With that being said I turned and left Jacob standing by the swings. I felt his eyes on my back the whole time I walked away but I didn’t turn around even once.

I can’t believe that he called me a brat because I was getting upset over this. Of course I’m going to fucking be upset! What did he think I would do? Smile and say ‘Oh it’s alright. I’m completely fine with the fact that you kept this from me until now.’

Yeah, that is definitely not happening.

When I stepped into my house, shivering and dripping wet from the rain, I kicked off my shoes and rushed upstairs to get out of my now-drenched clothes. When Jacob and I first got to the park it was nice and warm and I was so distracted that I didn’t even notice the big dark rain clouds until I was about five minutes away from the park and heard the first clap of thunder.

I changed into a nice dry pair of black sweatpants and a gray long-sleeved shirt. I looked at my wet clothes. Eh. I might as well do some laundry. I need to wash my jeans anyway.

I gathered together a load of laundry and then went downstairs into the laundry room. As I checked all of the pockets in my jeans I let my mind wander and almost instantly got pissed when I thought of what Jacob told me at the park.

I clenched my jaw and threw the clothes into the washing machine, shutting it a bit more forcefully than needed. Then I turned it on and went into the kitchen to get a drink, leaning against the counter and sipping my orange juice as I thought about it.

Why would he keep that from me? I keep asking myself this yet I can’t come up with an answer.

I contemplated it for a while- my anger slowly left me as I did so- until a sudden thought occurred to me. I put my orange juice down on the counter and ran hand through my hair.

What if… what if he didn’t tell me about Preston because he was scared to? I mean- as far as I know- I’m the first person he’s told about his family. He’s not comfortable sharing these kinds of things with people.

A sudden, strong wave of guilt overcame me and began eating away at my insides. What if that’s the case and I just… just got mad at him and left? Was he trying to open up to me and I just pushed him away? Yes he did call me a brat but now that I think about it I was kind of being a bitch.

The faint sound of an engine came from next door and I chewed on my nail. Should I go apologize now? Or should I give him time to cool off? No. If I wait too long he’ll have more time to get pissed at me.

I pushed off the counter and hurried through the house in the direction of the front door. Before I could get there though the doorbell rang and I froze on the spot.

Could that be?...

But Jacob isn’t the type to calm down so soon. He stays mad for a while and I don’t think he’s going to want to talk to me anytime soon after how I acted.

I moved from my spot and took a step toward the door, and then another and another until I was standing in front of it.

I leaned up on my toes and looked out the peephole.

My jaw dropped.

I backed up and then quickly unlocked the door, yanking it open and launching myself at the tall form standing on the other side of it.