Chapter 33

3-26-14

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where the hell?...

I shot up and my head collided with something hard. A loud groan sounded beside my ear and I snapped my head to the side to look at whoever is near me.

Jacob sat rubbing his jaw and shooting me a pointed look.

“What the fuck Lyla?” I swallowed. Why is he here? Wait… where am I? I looked around and my eyes almost bugged out of my head when I realized what I’m sitting on.

“What the hell?!” I nearly screamed while attempting to scramble away. He quickly wrapped his arms around me to keep me from falling on the floor. “Why am I on your lap? Let me go! Where are we? Why-“ I stopped short and snapped my mouth shut, whipping around and looking for him. I pressed my back against Jacob’s chest. “Where… where is h-he?” The question came out as barely a whisper but Jacob still heard it.

We’re not in the alley anymore… but that doesn’t mean anything.

“Hey, it’s alright. He’s not here. You’re at the police station in the front room.”

“Why am I here? Why are you here? Did they charge you with anything? Oh god this is all my fault.” I put my head in my hands and felt tears fall from my eyes. “I’m sorry. I should have asked Carter to come pick me up but I didn’t want to make him drive all the way out there and I thought that since it wasn’t that far of a walk-“

I stopped talking and raised my head when I felt Jacob pull me closer.

“It’s fine Lyla. Calm down. You fell asleep while we were in the alley and I called the cops. They were going to charge me with assault when they got there but I explained what happened. They said that if you’ll talk to them and confirm that I was defending you then they’ll drop the charges. I also called your Mom. She’s on her way right now to pick you up and sort some things out.” I calmed down at his words and felt my whole body relax a bit.

I almost panicked when he said that he told Mom but decided that it’s for the best. She doesn’t deserve to have these things kept from her and she would have found out anyway since the cops are involved. I still haven’t told her about what happened at that one party Winter dragged me to and I don’t plan on it.

My eyes flitted around and I saw that we’re in a room with brown walls and bright white lights on the ceiling. There’s a lady sitting behind the counter at the other end of the room and her eyes are trained on the computer in front of her. She’s talking to someone on the phone but I can’t hear what she’s saying.

Jacob’s arms tightened a tiny bit and he pulled me in closer to his chest. I looked to the right and realized that Jacob is sitting in one of the chairs lined up along the walls with me in his lap. I felt warm breath on my neck and then Jacob’s face rested against my skin.

I sat completely still and my breath came out a little ragged. God dammit. Why does he have this effect on me? Every time he’s near me I can’t control how my body reacts and my mind scrambles into a jumbled mess within seconds.

“You nearly gave me a heart attack Lyla. I heard some shuffling and when I went down that alley and… and saw him on top of you…” I heard him swallow and his arms tightened around me as he began to shake in anger. “I lost it. I started to see red. One second I saw him touching you and the next he was on the ground under me. I was thinking to myself that I was going to kill him. If you hadn’t stopped me when you did I would have ended up doing just that.” I kept quiet for a good minute or two and took in his words.