Chapter 19

1-24-14

Pic of Michael as a baby off to the side. Isn't he adorable?!?! :3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                The next morning I looked like a zombie. Dark bags had formed under my eyes which are dull and tired-looking. Even after I took a shower, blow-dried, and brushed it, my hair still hung limp down my back from me tugging on it and running my hands through it so many times. I put my ‘pajamas’ back on and went back into my room, turning my music on and collapsing on the bed again.

………….

                I didn’t actually get up and go downstairs until a little after eleven. When I did I found a note on the counter. It’s from Mom. I read it and frowned.

                They needed her to come into work again today. She needs to take a break. When she has to work on the weekends she normally drops Michael off at one of her friend’s houses. I’ve told her that I can watch him if she wants but she says that it makes her feel bad and that she doesn’t want me to worry about watching a three year old when I could be relaxing. I think she needs to take her own advice sometimes.

                Her friend is a stay-at-home mom with two other kids. She offered to watch Michael any time Mom needs her to. She says that she doesn’t need to pay her but Mom insists. She’s such a nice person. I’m glad she’s my mom and I have no idea what I would do without her.

                I almost grabbed a bowl out of habit but then stopped when I realized that I’m not hungry. Putting it back in the cabinet, I went back upstairs and changed into my black converse, black skinny jeans, and a baggy white hoodie. Then I grabbed my phone, wallet, iPod, and headphones and left the house, shutting and locking the front door as I did so.

                We have needed to get groceries for a while but Mom keeps forgetting. She has the car but I don’t really mind walking. It’s only a seven minute walk from here to the store anyway. Putting the headphones in my ears, I blasted my music as I walked down the sidewalk.

………..

                I put the bags in my right hand down to open the door, picking them back up and going inside. Shutting the door with my hip, I made my way into the kitchen and put all the bags on the counter. I sighed and then started to put the groceries up. I basically just got the basics like bread, eggs, milk, cereal, etc.

                When I was done I went upstairs and changed back into my comfy clothes, getting on my stomach beside my bed. I shuffled around for a minute and then came upon something that I haven’t looked at for a while. Pulling the little box out from under my bed, I brushed the dust off of it and lifted the lid.

                This is the box where I keep things that are most important to me. I have a necklace that Mom gave me when I was ten. It has been passed down from her great-great-great grandma all the way down to her and then to me. It was a tradition to give it to their first daughter when she turned ten.

                I also have a picture of my mom, dad, and I sometime after I was born. Landon was only seven at the time, and he was smiling at me while Mom held me in her arms. I was wearing a little white dress. Dad stood beside her, smiling down at all three of us. I don’t know who took the picture but I remember finding it in one of the boxes in the attic two years ago. Mom told me I could keep it so I put it in this box.