Chapter 16

1-7-14

Enjoy!!! cx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                “Carter!” I called, rushing down the crowded hallway. People shoved past me and I pushed them right back, elbowing my way through the bodies of my fellow classmates. I felt Winter’s hand on my arm so I know she’s keeping up with me. Of course she is; she’s Winter. Some of the people flashed me nasty looks that I ignored, following Carter’s head of messy blonde hair. He’s been avoiding me ever since I told them about Preston and me dating and I’m going to find out why. I refuse to lose one of my best friends because they’re upset about something and won’t tell me what it is. He’s still talking to Winter but every time she brings it up he either changes the subject or says he has to do something and disappears.

                “Carter! Wait up!” I yelled again, shoving harder than before in order to catch up with him. He’s acting like he can’t hear me but I know he can.

                “CARTER!” Winter shouted. I winced a little since she screamed that right beside my ear. We started to gain on him and I moved faster, weaving between and around everyone in my path. I finally broke through another group of people and ran the short distance, pouncing onto his back. Winter ran in front of him and rammed her hands into his chest, forcing him to stop.

                “Get off me, Lyla.” He tried to shake me off but I shook my head and clung onto him even tighter.

                “No! You’ve been avoiding me for three days and I’m not going to deal with it anymore!” His shoulders tensed and he held his breath, letting it out a few seconds later in a deep sigh.

                “Are you going to stay and talk?” Winter asked. He didn’t respond at first but then nodded his head slowly in defeat. I slid off his back and landed on my feet behind him, walking around to stand beside Winter. He kept his eyes away from me, instead staring at the floor. I frowned and stepped forward, pulling his face up and trying to meet his gaze. His brown eyes finally flashed up to mine, full of sadness. I frowned and felt my eyes burn with oncoming tears. I can’t stand to see my friends upset and they both know that so this must be pretty serious.

                “What’s wrong?” I asked softly. Winter stepped forward and took his hand, trying to offer him some comfort. He stared back at me for a little while and took in a deep breath, shaking his head. My eyebrows came together and my frown deepened. “Bullshit, Carter. Why have you been avoiding me?” My voice softened as I said, “You know you can tell me. I love you guys to death and I hate seeing you upset. So I’ll ask again. What’s wrong?” He hesitated for a full ten seconds before giving in.

                “I’m just… overreacting, I guess. Lizzy has been getting really sick a lot lately and we’re all worried.” Lizzy is his little sister. She just turned ten last month. “Mom and Dad… they’ve been fighting and crying every night after she goes to bed. I just don’t know what to do. Sorry that I’ve been avoiding you but it’s just been really hard to deal with.” I bit my lip and Winter and I threw ourselves at him at the same time, wrapping his tall form in a hug. He hugged us back after a few seconds, a bit surprised.

                “Oh, I’m so sorry, Carter! I’m sorry I made such a big deal about it but I was really worried and I thought that you were mad at me and-“ He cut me off.

                “I could never be mad at you, Lyla. Or you Winter. You guys are my best friends and I wouldn’t give you up for the world.” We all pulled back and smiled at each other, Winter and I giggling over the state Carter’s shirt is now in. He just shrugged and laughed along with us. I can tell that something else is bothering him but I don’t want to pry. He’s already stressing out enough about Lizzy.