Chapter 34

4-4-14

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found myself standing in a small room. I’m actually kind of relieved. I thought she was going to bring me to one of those rooms with the metal table and a light blaring down in your face like they do in the movies. But this isn’t like that at all. It looks more like a conference room.

There is a large shiny wood table taking up most of the room, a bunch of computer chairs lined up down the sides, and there are huge windows that normally would be letting in a lot of light but since it’s nighttime it’s pitch black outside.

A few lamps sat in the corners of the room and there were a few scattered along the walls in between. Only about four of them were on and they cast a warm glow about the room which made most of my nervousness melt away. That is until I heard the door open behind me.

My heart sped up almost instantly as I whirled around to face whoever is going to be questioning me for I don’t even know how long. I expected to see some big tall buff guy in a suit and tie with a briefcase but was shocked when I saw a young woman who looks to be in her mid-twenties.

She stood beside the door with a warm smile on her face, wearing a black pencil skirt, a white button-up shirt, and black high heels. She’s absolutely stunning. Definitely the type of woman Jacob would go after. She has light brown hair tied up into a bun on her head, bright green eyes, long eyelashes, is tall-at least three or maybe four inches taller than me-and has curves in all the right places.

I immediately felt self-conscious and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, swallowing the lump that formed in my throat.

“Hello. My name is Bethany but you can just call me Beth.” I just stared at her for a second before responding.

“Um… hi. My name is L-Lyla.” I stuttered out my name and her smile became even warmer.

“That’s such a beautiful name. Would you like to take a seat?” She gestured toward the table for me to sit. I slowly turned and sat in the closest chair. My back is straight as a ruler. Bethany went around the table and sat in the chair across from me. She has a recorder with her but that’s it. No briefcase or anything like that.

“Um thank you by the way. You have a pretty name too.” I mumbled quietly. She smiled at me again and a small laugh escaped her.

“Why thank you very much! And you don’t have to be so timid. I don’t bite. Promise!” I offered her a small smile and she returned it before her face became more serious. “Now I know that this is going to be hard for you to talk about. Don’t be afraid to tell me anything. I want you to know that I understand what you’re feeling 100%.” I mentally scoffed. Yeah right. So she’s one of those people. The ones who try to make you feel comfortable around them and then drop the ‘I know just what you’re going through’ bomb even though in reality they have no idea.

She must have seen my disbelief because she smiled sadly at me.

“I know that you’re thinking that I’m just saying that. But I can promise you that I’m not. I went through the same thing when I was only a little younger than you. Unfortunately I wasn’t lucky enough to have someone there to stop it.” She dropped her eyes to the table and I felt my face soften. She was raped?

“I’m so sorry.” I whispered. She sent me another sad smile and then cleared her throat, sitting up straighter.

“It’s alright. Because of what happened to me I’ve been able to help many people who have had to go through the same thing. I’ve learned to move on with my life and let it be in the past. But we’re not here to talk about me. I need you to tell me as much as you can about what happened, okay? I’m going to record our conversation so some people can listen to it and so they can drop the charges on your friend.” She said softly. I nodded and felt tears brimming in my eyes.