Chapter 22

2-4-14

Enjoy!!! There are some (hopefully) funny moments in this chapter. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks so. :/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                “With knives and pens, we made our plight…” I sang along to one of my favorite songs, going quiet when the loud roar of Jacob’s bike passed by me. I didn’t look up until he passed, watching him speed down the street and around the corner just like every other morning. Sighing, I continued to walk down the street, no longer singing.

                I guess what happened last night won’t change anything. I’m not really shocked, just… disappointed? No, that’s not the word.

                Sad?

                Upset?

                Confused?

                Lost?

                Those are a bit more accurate.

When I got to school I went to my locker and then found Winter in the hall.

“Hey.” She bumped my hip with her own as we walked down the hall together.

“Hi. Where’s Carter?” I asked her, looking around for him.

“Oh yeah. He texted me this morning. Said he caught the flu or something. From what he told me I’m assuming that he won’t be here tomorrow either.” I pursed my lips at the information and then pulled out my phone, quickly typing a get-well-soon text and sending it to him. Then I shoved my phone back in my pocket quickly before a teacher saw it.

We wandered around for a while and when we were about to finish our second lap around the school someone stepped in our path. Actually, it was multiple someones and they all smelled like nasty cheap perfume. Any guesses on who it is?

“What the hell do you want Britney?” Winter snapped. I stood there, trying to contain the urge to punch her in the nose when I remembered what she said the other day. I clenched my hand into fists. Britney sneered at Winter.

“This has nothing to do with you so I would suggest you back off you ugly bitch.” Winter’s jaw ticked and her hands also clenched at her sides as she attempted to shoot laser beams at Britney out of her eyes. “I’m just here to talk to your whore of a friend.” I flinched a little bit and my nails dug into my palm, drawing blood.

“Oh hell no,” Winter growled, advancing on her like a tiger stalking its prey. “You can say whatever the fuck you want about me- I don’t give a shit. But when you mess with my friends, you’re gonna have hell to pay.” I tried to grab her arm.

“Winter-“ She pulled it away from me, shaking her head.

“No. She is NOT going to get away with that without a broken nose.” Britney’s eyes widened and she stumbled back a bit. Her friends stared at Winter in horror as she raised her fist, ready to strike.

“WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!” A loud voice boomed down the hall. I flinched and looked to my right, seeing Mr. Snelgrove stalking towards us. Oh god. This isn’t going to be pretty for Winter. Britney is a complete suck-up when an adult is around, acting all innocent and sweet. It makes me sick. She is one of his favorite students.

Winter lowered her fist but continued to glare at Britney. Mr. Snelgrove came and stood between them, crossing his arms with an angry expression as he faced Winter who’s breathing heavily, trying to control her anger.

“Would you care to explain to me, Ms. Laney, why you were going to hit Ms. Rite?” He glared at her with his beady little eyes, waiting for her explanation. Winter opened her mouth to reply.

“Yeah. She was being a little-“

“It was my fault Mr. Snelgrove,” I butted in. Winter turned to me and shook her head violently.

“Bullshit. My reason, Mr. Snelgrove,” she spat out, “is that she was being a little bitch and insulted my friend.” He narrowed his eyes at her and she scowled right back. God dammit Winter! Why did you say that?!

“Watch your language. Is this true Ms. Rite?” he asked the second bit while turning to face Britney with his eyebrows raised. She sent Winter a smirk which turned into a look of fake innocence as she shook her head.

“Of course not! I would never do something like that! We were just walking down the hall and then this girl came out with Lyla and started threatening me.” He nodded, taking in her bullshit story without the barest hint of hesitation. What the hell?! I mean seriously! Who would be dumb enough to believe that shit? Apparently him.

“Is that what happened girls?” he directed at her minions. They all nodded and he turned back around, his face falling back into a scowl as he looked at us. It took everything in me to stop myself from screeching in his face. Winter stepped forward a bit, shaking her head violently.

“That’s a bunch of-“

“That’s enough out of you, Ms. Laney. I think we have enough witnesses to confirm what happened.” She clenched her fists even tighter and I started to step forward but she shook her head at me, shooting me a warning look. Then she mouthed ‘Stay out of this and don’t get yourself in trouble’.

“And did you have any part in this?” he asked me, raising a challenging eyebrow. Before I could even open my mouth to reply Winter jumped in.

“No she didn’t. This had nothing to do with her. Now are we going to your office or are we just going to stand here all day?” I pursed my lips and Mr. Snelgrove’s eyes narrowed in on her once again. With an annoyed grunt, he nodded and motioned her forward. She started on her way down the hall in the direction of his office but he hung back for a moment.

“Get to class girls. I better not hear of anything else like this happening or next time there will be consequences. Do I make myself clear Ms. Hanson?” I hesitated but then finally nodded.

“Yes sir,” I mumbled. With another grunt and a final nod, he marched off down the hall after a fuming Winter. Britney shot me a nasty look.

“Looks like you just got your little friend in trouble. Wow, you really are a bitch.” My anger skyrocketed when those words left her mouth and I whipped around to face her fully, scowling deeply.

“You shut your fucking mouth Britney! I’m getting really sick of your shit. And who are you to say that I got her in trouble when you’re the one who came over and fucking started it?!” I was breathing hard and shaking when I stopped talking, trying to contain my anger. It’s a wonder I haven’t punched this bitch yet.

She took a step toward me, trying to look intimidating as she crossed her arms over her oversized chest.

“I would watch what you say to me, you skank. I can make your life a living hell if you piss me off.” I scoffed and her eyes narrowed but other than that she ignored my action. “I’ll only say this one more time and you had better listen this time. Stay. Away. From. Jacob. He’s mine and I don’t want him hanging out with the likes of you.” She spat the last word with so much disgust. My fingers are aching now from how hard I’m clenching them.

Without another word, she flicked her hair over her shoulder. Turning on her five-inch heel, she strutted down the hall with her clones trailing closely behind. Even after she was around the corner and far enough away that I couldn’t hear her heels clicking against the tile floor anymore I stood rooted to the spot, attempting to control my breathing.

“UGH!” I yelled, whirling around and slamming my fist into the locker with all the strength I have in my arm. I felt my hand throbbing and aching but ignored it as I made my way down the hall, my feet basically punching the floor as I walked.

That fucking bitch is going to end up in a ditch one of these days and if she keeps this shit up I might very well be the one who puts her there.