Chapter 36

4-8-14

So this is probably one of my very favorite chapters I've written for... many reasons.

Hehe. You'll see those reasons when you read it. So far I've written all the way up to Chapter 44 and I started on 45 yesterday. :3

Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard the doorbell ringing and my eyes snapped open. Sitting up on the couch, I got to my feet sluggishly and shuffled across the room. I fell asleep on the couch this morning after Mom and Michael left. I woke up early just to read to him and ended up reading at least three books to apologize for not coming home last night to read to him.

He was happy to say the least and after kissing my cheek and saying goodbye he and Mom left. Mom told me that I need to stay home today and that it would just stress me out even more if I tried to go to school. I see where she’s coming from but I still have to go to work this afternoon. It’s only my second day working there and there is no way in hell I’m letting her convince me to call in sick.

I paused for a moment and groaned quietly to myself when I passed a mirror mounted on the wall in the hallway. There are dark bags under my eyes and my hair is a mess. I look like a zombie who just got ran over by a truck.

I finally made it to the door and looked out the peephole. Jacob stood there staring at the door, waiting for someone to answer. What the hell is he doing here? It’s not even twelve in the afternoon. Why isn’t he in school?

I felt my cheeks burn when I remembered what happened last night in my room and considered pretending like I’m not here. I mean how would he know whether I’m in school or not if he’s not even there himself? I turned my back and began to tiptoe away from the door but I only made it about two steps before there were three loud knocks on the wood behind me.

I flinched and waited.

“Lyla I know you’re in there. If you don’t open the door then I’ll just use the extra key and let myself in.” I heard his voice calling loudly. Ha. He doesn’t know where the extra key is. I haven’t even used it in months and the only way he would know where it is is if he was-

I heard a key rattling in the lock and closed my eyes, breathing out through my nose. I guess he saw me using it after all. What does he want?! All I want is to sleep and try not to think about yesterday’s events but he’s making it kind of complicated.

“Dammit,” I mumbled to myself. I might as well let him in anyway if he has the key. Turning back around, I went forward and unlocked the door, pulling it open. Jacob’s lips twisted into a smirk almost the second he saw me and then he reached up, putting the key back up onto the frame of the door.

Why is he so tall? I always have to jump or stand on something to get it down and he just reaches up there like it’s nothing. My heavy eyes narrowed on him in a glare.

“Won’t you come inside?” I waved my hand sarcastically and let some of my hair fall in my face to cover my bright red cheeks. His smirk grew and he stepped around me into the house, standing behind me as I shut the door.

The second I turned around I felt hands pushing me back and pressing me into the wood before I could even blink. I didn’t even have time to register the fact that he’s pinning me to the door before he leaned his head down and I felt his lips crash against mine roughly. The breath caught in my throat. He reached up to tangle a hand in my hair and forced his tongue past my lips and into my mouth.