Chapter 44

5-30-14

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Landon stumbled back a few steps and then returned the hug.

“I… you… you’re… here… what…” I tried to form a coherent sentence but ended up just blubbering out random words into his shoulder with my arms wrapped around his neck in a chokehold and tears soaking his shirt.

The familiar smell of his cologne comforted me and brought back so many memories. I’m surprised he still uses the same kind after all this time.

Faintly I heard the sound of heavy footsteps and a door slamming somewhere in the distance but I didn’t move my head from his shoulder.

“You’ve changed so much Lyla.” I raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah. People tend to do that when you don’t see them for three years. Puberty and all that.” Landon pursed his lips and I smiled a little into my mug of hot chocolate as I took a sip.

After I finally calmed down enough to talk I brought Landon inside and made some hot chocolate to warm us up after standing outside so long. It’s been warmer lately but when it rains it gets kind of cold.

So now we’re sitting at the kitchen table drinking our hot chocolate and talking. Mom’s working a little late tonight so she probably won’t be home for another hour at least. It’s a little after six now and she said in her note that she might not be home till seven or possibly eight.

“You what?!” I blushed brightly and took another sip to hide my cheeks.

We somehow got onto the topic of boyfriends and girlfriends and when he saw me blush he wouldn’t stop pestering me till I told him about the situation with Jacob.

He frowned a little and pursed his lips, staring at me with furrowed eyebrows.

“Jacob Daniels. Are you sure that’s a good idea? I mean from what I saw he was turning into quite the little player. Plus he kind of seems like the type that’s involved in drugs and you don’t need to be getting caught up in that kind of thing. I mean what if-“

“Landon it’s fine. Yes he was a player-which is why I was staying away from him at first-but I trust him not to hurt me.” I winced when I remembered what happened at the park earlier. “He’s not involved in drugs either.” I felt a little pang in my chest when I thought about Noah but then pushed the thought away. Now isn’t the time to get all depressed and upset.

I glanced down at my phone and smiled a little.

“Mom and Michael are going to be home soon.” Just as I said that the sound of the door opening and Michael chattering to Mom drifted into the room and my eyes snapped to the door and then back to Landon who’s clutching his cup tightly.

I reached across the table and rested my hand on top of his, sending him a comforting smile when he looked at me nervously.

“It’s going to be fine. You stay here and I’ll go get them. Alright?” he nodded and I sent him another smile before getting to my feet and hurrying into the kitchen.

“Hey Mom.” She looked up from her purse and smiled at me. Michael came rushing over and flung his arms around me in a hug. I picked him up and kissed his cheek.

“Hey sweetie. How was your day?”

“Oh it was… alright. Hey um… can you come into the other room? I have a surprise for you.” Mom looked confused but nodded anyway and followed me. I grinned a little to myself as I led her into the dining room where Landon is.