A Year Later

Today marks one year since the Lima Bean shooting.

Getting suspended for two weeks for almost KO'ing Summer during a State test didn't play well to Aunt Julie, so of course I'm grounded in which I understand. But today, we have more things to focus on.

The car ride stayed silent, with me and Finn sitting in the back together while Carol and Aunt Julie sat in the front seat. Lima Bean was reopening today for the public and they are holding a memorial event during. Glee Club, teachers, students, and staff are coming along with hundreds of others to remember the tragic event that struck our small town last year. I looked at Finn silently and he looked at me. He cupped my scarred cheek with his hand and ran his thumb over it, giving me so much as a small smile.

When we reached the street, it was blocked off with many police officers everywhere with loaded pistols. People crowded the street around the stage they had set up for people to speak and such. Julie parked and we all got out together and headed up to the front of the crowd to take a seat with the other surviving victims. We took the time to hug each one individually and even have some conversations since the last time we all had been together was the court hearing. "I went and saw you guys at Sectionals. You guys are very talented." A women spoke to us who had lost her brother in the incident. "We appreciate that. We're actually performing after I speak last." I smiled shaking her hand. "That sounds great, I can't wait to hear." She nodded softly. The microphone squeaked and we all sat down in our designated chairs facing the stand crowd.

One by one, everyone got to speak their mind. Some with frustration, others with hurt. But at the end of the day, everybody had to understand where they were coming from. I knew I'd be thanking my future self earlier when I took a few minutes to pick out waterproof makeup. Press was here to document it all and I could tell Finn's nerves were going to shoot through the earth. Soon it finally came down to mine and Finn's turn to speak. I wanted to go last since my emotions would probably be more stable than Finn's. Him and Carol walked up to the podium and he pulled out the note cards I helped him write yesterday and set them down. It stayed quiet with the only sound of cameras shuttering in the air.

"When I was little, my father's life was taken. Even for my age, I knew that my mom would never be the same again, and that I needed to step up and be the man she needed." His breath turned into a cloud and floated slowly from his mouth. "So, the lingering question stays in my mind day to day, though my girlfriend tells me not to think about it. 'Who would've been the man she needed if the bullet had hit me just right?'". My eyes swelled with tears and Aunt Julie began to rub the small of my back. "Waking up in the hospital on the brink of death is probably the worst thing I could've ever done to my mom, my best friend, and my surroundings peers." His voice became higher and he struggled to talk. Carol's face steamed with tears as she held his hand. "Thankfully, I had so much love and hope around me to help me get to where I am today, stronger and more powerful." Everyone clapped for him and then became quiet to let him finish.

"Though I, and everyone here today wished it would've never happened, I'm thankful that I was able to keep the love of my life as safe as I could. I can't imagine everything I've done since that day to be possible without her." Finn smiled through his tears to me. "I'm filled with hurt to this day, but I wish it to never happen to the men who committed this horrible act. The only thing I wish is for them to see how strong we are as a community and that we will get up no matter what is thrown at us." He finished, then hugging his mom tightly as everyone roared in applause for him. He got off stage and shared a kiss with me before me and Aunt Julie went to the podium. I adjusted my posture and stared out into the huge crowd nervously before beginning my speech.

"A wise man once said, 'Healing doesn't mean the damage never existed, it means the damage no longer control our lives.' And that is what I think everytime the incident is nudged into my mind. It may seem that we have all healed in the past year, but we arent. We won't be in another year, or two years, or ten years." I took a breath and looked around. "Everyone who survived lost something that can never be replaced. A brother, a best friend, a loved one, pride. Anything. And for me, I almost lost my best friend." My eyes became blurry with tears as I looked at Finn. "Never in a million years did I think my heart would ache as bad as it did when I walked into that ICU room and saw my everything laying their, helpless and cold with tubes down his throat, because someone wanted to take his life." I let out a small sob away from the microphone and Aunt Julie soothed me quietly, herself trying not to break down.

"I lost my mother late last year, and I as well as Finn had to grow up and support our guardians. I can't imagine how much distress my Aunt would be going through if she lost her niece that she's had in her arms care for six years." I looked at her and she let out some tears. I turned my head to the side and pointed to the bullet scar on my cheek. "This scar is something I have to live with from now on as a reminder of a two lives that got almost lost with others. But, it has a main reason. I want my scar, my boyfriends scar, and everyone else's scars from that day to reflect that we are a community bonded together. We can recover from anything that is ever thrown at us and we will always remain strong."

Everyone clapped loudly and Finn joined me on the stage. Kurt, Blaine, and Matthew emerged from the crowd and received a microphone as we all stood together.

Finn: I won't just survive. Oh, you will see me thrive. Can't write my story. I'm beyond the archetype.

Kurt: I won't just conform. No matter how you shake my core. 'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh.

Finn: Oh, ye of so little faith

Kurt: Don't doubt it, don't doubt it

Finn: Oh, victory is in my veins

Kurt: I know it, I know it

Finn: And I will not negotiate

Kurt: I'll fight it, I'll fight it

Both: I will transform, oh

Everyone began to light their candles and hold them in the air as pictures began to play on a huge monitor of the victims lost.

Blaine: When, when the fire's at my feet again, and the vultures all start circling, they're whispering, "You're out of time". But still I rise

Matthew: There is no mistake, no accident. When you think the final nail is in, think again, don't be surprised. I will still rise

I clenched my fist tightly around the microphone to try to help myself from breaking down even more.

Camila: I must stay conscious. Through the madness and chaos. So I call on my angels. They say

Kurt: Oh, ye of so little faith

Finn and Camila: Don't doubt it, don't doubt it

Kurt: Oh, victory is in my veins

Finn and Camila: I know it, I know it

Camila and Kurt: And I will not negotiate

Finn and Camila: I'll fight it, I'll fight it

All: I will transform, oh

A picture of me sleeping beside Finn the night he woke up came across the screen and he held my hand tightly.

Finn: Oh, when, when the fire's at my feet again

All: And the vultures all start circling, they're whispering, "You're out of time". But still I rise

Blaine: This is no mistake, no accident

All: When you think the final nail is in, think again, don't be surprised. I will still rise

Camila: Don't doubt it, don't doubt it. Victory is in your veins

Boys: You know it, you know it

Camila: And you will not negotiate

Boys: Just fight it, just fight it

We all then stood together with our arm around eachother, a powerful moment everyone was feeling

Kurt: You're out of time, but still I

All: Rise, Rise, rise, rise

Finn: You're out of time

All: But still I rise