A Hurt Heart

It all started Monday.

I was having a perfect day for a change. While everyone at school was hunched over sad it was Monday, I felt like I was glistening. All of us in the Student council finished up the graduation payments and paperwork for May, I received information that I got a pretty decent score of twenty-two on my ACT'S, Me and Finn spent the weekend together, and I have a car on hold for me until I can actually purchase it fully at the beginning of August. Everything was great; that is, until I got to work.

A girl about my age came in for an appointment to get her makeup done for her science fair. She looked, by society's definition, like a typical "nerd"; big glasses with a white stripe in the middle, uneven bangs, little acne scars on her t-zone, zig zag patterned braces, and some very hefty overalls. She was really sweet though, and who am I to say she looks like a nerd when I looked like her when I was fourteen. Anyways, she had requested heavily that her nose be contoured to be smaller and the tip highlighted so it didn't looked too massive, even though I tried countering her words because she had a beautiful nose. As I traced the new outline of her nose, she told me quietly about her massive project she was entering into the county's contest. It was a life size replica of a reptiles reproduction system and even was interactive. I tried not to gag as she explained it since I needed the tip, but my eyes did water. I continued to contour her nose by finally setting it all with powder. All of the sudden, her eyes squeezed shut and her mouth opened.

And with a load and disgusting roar, her nostrils opened wide, and she sneezed. Hard.

Flash forward to Thursday. No matter how much I caked on concealer, my dark circles still flashed themselves. My red eye veins were bright and definitely showing from all the coughing I did and my left ear was clogged. Since my eyes were so irritated, I had to wear my glasses to school and felt so ugly. My timing had been slow all day and everybody noticed. I got questions like, "Are you in a hangover?" "How many medications are you on?" "Do you think my cat can use his fur as a tissue to help unclog your nose?" Of course, that last question came from Brittany.

I was the last into Glee Club and everybody had pitiful looks on their faces when I walked in. I sat down next to Finn and he pulled out his heated soft blanket and let me wrap it around myself since I had been shivering all day, though it was the warm Spring time. He softly kissed my forehead and played with my hand in his lap because he knew how comforting that was to me. "Woah, why all the sad looks?" Mr. Schuester stopped dead in his tracks with his attendance clipboard in his hands. "Next week is Nationals Mr. Schuester, and we are just bummed out. There has been zero practices, zero good lucks from friends outside Glee. Plus, Camila is sick and not herself, so we have no motivation or happiness." Mercedes explained, her voice sounding drained. I smiled as much as I could before covering my mouth with his blanket and coughing hard. I looked at him and pouted. "Sorry babe, I'll wash it." I sighed. "It's okay." He shrugged even though I knew he wanted to vomit knowing his blanket was now filled with snot

"Guys... I just-" Mr. Schuester was lost himself. He was feeling the same way we were: defeated. "I know we are all bummed out, I am too. But, we can't let this take a toll on us." He said, but couldn't continue because he knew nothing that was said could cheer us up. We sat there in silence looking at our feet. Then, Mr. Schuester's face lit up and we automatically knew he was up to something. "What if, we hold our own competition?" He grinned. Some people started to sit up, others attentions were the only things caught. "We can do girl's versus boys and whoever wins can get a trophy!" There and then, everyone's mood lightened and high fives and "Hell yeah!"'s were exchanged.

"Wait, you can't be the only judge. Since you're a male that makes your judgement sex-oriented." Rachel raised her hand. "Good point, I'll have four judges total, two male, two female. They all have to agree on one winner, so it'll even out." Mr. Schuester thought out loud. I was excited, but I couldn't show it. I needed to rest my voice and relax as much as I could before work. I know everybody is thinking, "Well you're just going to pass it on to everyone else,". I requested that I do no makeup orders, but I'll help around the store. "Okay, so what's the theme?" Tina asked. "Hmm......how about you guys do......" He looked around and focused on Kurt's jacket, which was meant for a woman. "Opposite sexes?" "Like, instead of the front you put it in the ba-" Quinn slammed her hand over Puck's mouth to stop him. "Continue?" She smiled before glaring at Puck. "The guys will do a song that is originally by a girl or girls, and the girls will do a song that is originally by a guy or guys." He offered.

Everyone looked around and nodded, then agreeing before we selected two people to choose each other's artist/artists. It ended up being Finn and Rachel. "Okay, please select each others choice." Mr. Schuester said as they both got up in front of everybody and faced each other. "For the boys, you will do Fifth Harmony." Rachel announced. "Woah, that's impossible they're so feminine!" Finn looked at Mr. Schuester. "You'll make it work, now give the girl's their's." He asked. "Fine, you wanna play that way? How about the girls do New Kids On The Block." Finn crossed his arms. All the boys yelled out in approval and all of us girls were taken back. "You guys have until next Thursday to come up with costumes and the arrangement." Mr. Schuester finally concluded.

After school, Finn drove me to work as I cuddled his blanket with my eyes closed in the front seat. "Babe are you sure you don't want me to call you off today? You're really sick and need to rest and sweat it out." Finn frowned pulling into the parking lot. "I'm okay. I have some over'the-counter antibiotics in my purse. Plus, I need the money if I'm going to pay off dance class and my new car." I sighed. I grabbed a tissue from my purse and blew my nose as he parked in front of the store. "I love you and I'm sorry you don't feel good," Finn kissed my forehead. "I love you too." I side smiled before getting out. I took the time by myself while I was walking up to the doors to make ogre-like sounds to clear my throat and walked in smiling. Once I got to the back, I put my apron pouch on and opened my purse to get out some medication to take before I clocked on.

Right at the bottom, I found my favorite green juice and a package of grapes, aka my favorite snack in the word, with a sticky note that said:

No princess should be sick, so I thought I'd give you these to speed up the process so you can return to your royal duties of making everyone happy, including me, since seeing you sick hurts my heart. I love you ♡

-finn