Chapter 6

Laura's POV

Laura's POV

I nodded my head slowly, as a single tear trickled down my cheek. Mom came up to me, swiftly wrapping her arms around me, hugging me. She began crying tears of joy, as I did as well. 'Finally... I'm reunited with my real mother at last.' I thought to myself. It was like a dream come true for me.

Mom was barely shorter than me, about '5"6. Her dark, red hair was in a high ponytail, with her bangs hanging off the sides of her face. I could tell that I had her vibrant blue eyes, but her skin was more of a white peach skin tone. Claire was wearing a dark red leather jacket over her white buttoned up blouse, dark blue skinny jeans with a blue belt, and short black leather boots.

"I missed you so much Laura," She whispered softly to me, as she continued to cry softly.

"I've missed you too Mom," I whispered back.

She pulled away from me—wiping away her tears off her cheeks and calmed down. Managing to smudge some of her mascara in the process.

"Oh my gosh, you already look all grown up," Mom stated with an astounded tone of voice, as she was scanning me from top to bottom.

"I'm only sixteen years old, Mom," I pointed out. "Well... as of today officially."

"I know Laura. Happy Birthday by the way dear."

"Thanks Mom." I wiped away my tears carefully, so I wouldn't smudge my makeup.

"My gosh, look at how tall you are. You're only sixteen and you're already taller than me."

"I know Mom, I get that a lot from people."

"Anyway, since today's your birthday, what do you want to do Laura? We can go do anything you want."

I thought for a moment, until something came to mind.

"Really, well..." I stuttered.

"What is it?" Mom asked me, as she raised an eyebrow.

"I wondering if we could go to that new roller derby that just opened down town last week. I've never been roller skating before, and I thought it could be something we could try together."

"That's fine with me Laura, let's go," Mom grabbed her purse off the chair she was previously sitting in, before heading over towards the doorway.

"Hey! Wait up for me!" I said, as she stopped at the door.

"Only if you can't catch up," She teased, as she left.

"Hey Mom, I'm coming! Wait up!" I said, as I caught up to her in the hallway.

***

"Here are your skates ladies," The gentleman said, as he handed us our roller skates.

"Thank you," Mom thanked him, as we took our skates and walked over towards an empty bench. Sitting down to put our skates on.

"So Mom, have you ever been skating before?" I inquired, while I removed both of my boots off my feet and placed them on the ground beside my feet.