Chapter 45 - Part 2

***3rd POV***

***3rd POV***

"Look out!"

Leon rapidly turned his head around and followed Laura's line of sight, spotting a J'avo standing on top of a cargo container in the distance. His eyes widening when he noticed that the infected mercenary had a loaded rocket launcher perched on top of his right shoulder—aiming it right at the two of them.

Leon quickly scooped up Laura off the ground, protectively holding the little girl in his arms as he turned around and hastily made a run for it. Sprinting towards a nearby cargo container. The instant the J'avo pulled the trigger and fired the rocket launcher, Leon briskly jumped and dove behind the red metal container, as the fired grenade came into contact with the solid flooring. Immediately exploding upon impact; delivering an intense wave of heat throughout the area and sending massive chunks of rusty metal, durable concrete, and dust everywhere.

The dirty-blonde landed on his side along the polished, concrete floor, hovering over Laura while using his upper body to shield the young girl from the aftermath of the explosion. The volatile grenade barely missed Leon and Laura—only by a couple of feet. Once it cleared up, the government agent stood up off the ground, holding his hand out towards Laura. "Are you alright, Laura?"

"Yeah, I'm okay." Laura grasped ahold of the blonde's hand, letting him help her up off the ground; back onto her own two feet. The little girl stumbled and staggered momentarily, feeling light-headed and  dizzy all while holding onto the side of the cargo container. Eventually regaining her balance and being able to stand on her own.

Laura's eyes then traveled towards Leon's other leg holster, eyeing the other wing shooter fastening within the designed pouch. The D.S.O. agent immediately caught on to her foreseeable idea. Already shaking his head in disapproval. "Nuh uh Laura, not happening. I'll handle them alone."

The corner's of Laura's mouth quirked down, frowning as the young girl balled her fists. "But why not, Leon? I can help. I've been training in hand-to-hand combat and how to efficiently wield firearms since I was six years old." Even with what she's been telling Leon, he highly doubted that someone her age could even use a gun properly. The very idea that Laura could take on even a single mercenary in her current condition already seemed far-fetched that it was!

"But you're just a kid, Laura. You're too young to be involved in all of this," The dirty-blonde reminded her, taking out his handgun. He briefly peered over the side of the cargo container, firing his wing shooter at one of the mercenaries sniping from far off. Killing it with only two gun shots to its forehead.

"There's fifty of them versus the two of us. You may be possess the skills Leon, but they have the numbers. And just because I'm eleven, it doesn't mean you have to treat me like a piece of glass—"

"Laura," Leon turned his head towards her. "Its my job is to keep you safe at all times, and I intend on doing that. Look, I know you want to help, but the best thing you can do to help me is by staying here behind the container and out of sight. You'll be safer here while I try to take them out one by one." The dirty blonde peered over the side of the cargo container for a brief moment once again, shooting down another one of snipers firing from afar before pressing his back behind the metal container as he glanced over at Laura. "I promise that no matter what happens, we will make it out of here alive. Okay?" The blonde instructed the little girl, smiling at her.