Chapter 49

Laura's POV

Laura's POV

Two Weeks Later...

"Laura, we'll be back in about an hour," Aunt Jill yelled from downstairs, the sound of the front door opening echoed throughout the house.

"Bye kiddo, text us if you think of anything else we need from the store," Uncle Chris said to me, just as I heard the sounds of foots then the front door close. Silence instantly filled the whole house.

While Uncle Chris and Aunt Jill were going into town to do some grocery shopping, I was in my room, laying comfortably on my bed with a book in hand. I grasped ahold of the corner of the sheet, turning to the next page of the book and reading it. I gently grabbed my cup of hot chocolate off the end table next to me, pressing the edge of the cup to my lips and taking a drink out of it, before setting it back down on the top of the end table.

It's been two weeks since I've temporarily moved in with Uncle Chris and Aunt Jill. Despite how long I've been staying with them, I still haven't gotten used to being around them, or the rest of my newfound friends and family members for that matter. All of it felt new to me.

Just a month ago I was still living across the country in Seattle, going to school, hanging out with my friends, all while dealing with my adoptive mother; her state of mind completely broken beyond repair. The only thing that could satisfy her wrecked state of being was a twelve pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon and numerous bottles of Jack Daniels. My once lively mother was tirelessly inebriating herself to point where she was constantly finding herself on death's doorstep, only for the grim reaper to never answer any of her pleas to end her suffering up until her murder.

Now here I am, more than three weeks after the events of the viral outbreak in my hometown, or the Seattle Bioterror Incident as the press has coined it. I'm currently living in Richmond, Virginia with my birth mother's brother and his growing family.

A lot has happened since then. My wounds have fully healed last week; I was finally able to remove the numerous stitches from the long ass scar that now horizontally lined the surface of my stomach. So no more constant bed rest, or pain killers for me. In less than two weeks, I'll be moving out of Uncle Chris's place and leave to go live with my stepfather, Leon, in Washington D.C. After all, the two men had agreed that Leon would be the one to have full custody of me.

That's not all though, there were some things that still plagued my mind, things I could never forget. One of them was when Dad visited me at the hospital that night, sharing with me the truth about behind the bioterror attack in Seattle, Mom's capture, and his real motives.'Who was actually responsible for the viral outbreak? If it wasn't my Dad, then who? Whoever this person was, they must have one hell of a grudge against my father for whatever reason.'