Chapter 37

Leon's POV

Leon's POV

The instant her vitals began to drop at a monumental rate, nearby doctors and nurses rushed inside the room straightaway. Including Dr. Rodriquez as well. They rapidly pushed the three of us out of the hospital room, outside into the hallway. The medical staff briskly moving apace around Laura's hospital—working in order to stabilize my stepdaughter once again.

"Leon!" I turned around. Seeing Chris, Piers, Tyler, and Emile run up to Rebecca, Moira, and I. "What in the hell is going on!?"

"I don't know Chris. Laura was perfectly fine just a second ago. Then all of a sudden, her vitals began to rapidly drop—"

"She's crashing!" One of the nurses yelled from within the room, with a frantic tone of voice while administering medication into Laura's IV tubs, catching our attention. As all of us peered over at the monitor, the lines on her heart monitor went completely flat. Indicating that her heart had ceased beating.

"Code blue! We have a code blue!" Another nursed shouted. He pulled down the top part of Laura's hospital gown, revealing her navy blue bra as the nurse began performing CPR on her. Using his gloved hands to perform chest compressions against Laura's chest.

Emile and Tyler reacted by trying to rush back inside the room, to be back by Laura's side. Chris and I immediately stopped them in their tracks—grabbing ahold of them. Preventing them from interfering, as the doctors and nurses worked tenaciously to bring back Laura.

"No! Let me go you fucking asshole!" Emile yelled at me. She violently thrashed around against my hold, as tears began to brim in her eyes. "Please..."

Soon after her outburst ended, Chris released his grasp on Tyler, as I let go of Emile. She abruptly collapsed onto her knees, with numerous tears running down her cheeks. Emile covered her face with her hands, starting to sob hysterically.

Tyler kneeled down beside Emile. She removed her hands from her face—glancing up at him and sniffling. He genuinely pulled his friend into a hug. Tyler let her cry into his chest, holding her compassionately while shielding her from the scene in front of us.

"Stand clear!" Dr. Rodriquez moved to stand right beside Laura, holding a defibrillator in each hand. She pressed them heedfully against the pads taped her bare chest, as one of the nurses adjusted the charge on the machine.

"Clear!" She administered the electric current to Laura's chest—causing her to slightly bounce in her hospital bed. Even so, they all concurrently glanced over at the heart monitor, the lines still remained flat. "Again!" She placed them against her chest again, while the nurse turned up the charge a bit.