Chapter 20

| 10:24 pm |

| 10:24 pm |

Laura's POV

"Looks like we're not alone," I stated the obvious aloud, after seeing what happened on the monitor. Taking all of us by surprise.

"What was that captain?" Piers questioned Chris. I turned around—glancing up at the both of them.

Chris thought for a moment, before answering, "A B.O.W. you wouldn't want to mess with, that's for sure."

My uncle directed his gaze directly towards Tyler and I, staring at us for a brief moment before looking back at Piers. His eyes burning with perseverance. "Tyler, you stay here with Laura. Piers and I are gonna head over to the cell block to go get Claire. Once we find her and meet up again here, we're leaving and heading for the evac location," Chris briefed us, right as Piers and him began to tread over towards the door.

"Chris wait!" I called out to him, prompting the two of them to halt in their tracks and turn around to glance back at me.

"Are you sure that splitting up is the best idea right now? What if something bad happens to you, Piers, or even to Mom while you're out there? What if neither of you guys don't make it back alive...?" I questioned them, using an apprehensive tone of voice. As I steadily directed my gaze onto the metal floor.

The sound of Chris's footsteps echoed throughout the room; his combat boots clinking against the solid, cold flooring. The B.S.A.A. captain placed his gloved hand on top of my left shoulder, in a reassuring manner. I directed my gaze back up at him; anxiety clouding my features.

"Don't worry about us Laura. We'll be fine, Piers and I are professionals at this. Remember? We've been working for the BSAA for quite a while, so there's no need to worry. This is nothing new to us. On the other hand, it is for both you and Tyler. Even though you guys shouldn't be here at all, but you are and we're only doing this to keep you two safe."

"I know I worry too much Chris, but I still don't feel comfortable at all with this. Just standing around in here, doing nothing or contributing to help find Mom. While you two go out there, not only risking your safety but including your very lives as well," I argued, as my shoulders tensed up.

"Laura, it's not always about being on the front line in order to lend a helping hand. There are other ways to provide help for a certain cause. You are gonna help us, Laura. You and Tyler will be our eyes and ears through the facility. By staying in here, you two will be able guide us through the underground complex. Using the surveillance system and monitors in here, two you would be able to warn us through your comm link about anything we should be aware of. Like an incoming B.O.W. coming our way, for example. We'll still be able to contact each other in case something does happen, but it's for the best that you stay in here with Tyler. For your safety," Chris explained to me, using a diligent tone of voice.