Chapter 35

Chris's POV

Chris's POV

"What do you mean they want me back right now at HQ!?" I practically yelled over the phone at Scott, as I was getting dressed in the hotel room.

"Captain, they want all of us back home for the debrief. ASAP."

I groaned, as I sat on the edge of my bed. Using one hand to slip on a pair of grey socks, and the other to hold the phone against my ear. "How soon?"

"They want all of us back at base, by tomorrow," Scott answered. I lightly groaned again, before changing the subject.

"What's the status on the prisoner?"

"She's secured and all ready to go. Parker, Devin, and I are leaving here soon to transport her back to base. While Jackson, Mark, and Austin are almost done marshaling the rest of the other BSAA units that are stationed just outside of the quarantine zone to maintain containment protocols and help look for any survivors at the same time."

"Alright then, I better get going–"

"You're worried about Laura, aren't you," Scott cut me off. "Did something happen–"

"Scott," I cut him off. I was to about berate him again, until I stopped in my tracks. Now wasn't the time. 'Give a kid a break. He's just asking out of curiosity. Besides, there are more important tasks at hand right now that he should be focused on.' "I rather not talk about it right now."

"Okay then, that's understandable. We're all here for you if you need anything. Bye Captain."

After Scott hung up, I texted Leon.

———————————————
From: Chris
To: Leon (Agent Pretty Hair 💇🏼‍♂️)
7:35am

Hey Leon, Piers and I are gonna be late since some work-related issues came up that we need to take care off first. Keep me posted about Laura's condition.
———————————————

After I set my phone down on the end table beside me, I grabbed my boots. Taking one of them—slipping it on my right foot. I couldn't help think but about Claire and Laura. How I saw my little sister tumble out the window with Wesker. Falling out of that twelve story building. Her vibrant blue eyes shimmering with tears, with her arms wrapped tightly around the blonde bastard's waist. Then quickly disappearing from our sights within a matter of seconds.

And then Laura. Picturing her pale, stiff form laying on her hospital bed. The only thing keeping her heart pumping, was the life support was she's hooked up to. That image of her was practically burned into my memory, for as long as live. I couldn't help but feel responsible for what happened to them. To the both of them. 'Only if we've gotten there sooner–'