Chapter 43

Laura's POV

Laura's POV

After spending a week in the Overlake Medical Center located within the city of Bellevue, I was discharged from the facility. I was finally allowed to leave. Leon and my new doctor, Dr. Richards, had just finished signing my discharge papers. Verifying that I was both stable and healthy enough to be vacated.

Dr. Richards was assigned to me during the beginning of the week because my original doctor, Dr. Rodriquez, suddenly stopped showing up the day after I awoke from my coma. Nobody seemed to know where she was, until we were informed that she was taking time off because of a recent family emergency that came up. Apparently one of her relatives had recently died of natural causes, so she took an plane to Mexico so she could attend the funeral that was being held.

All while I was recovering at the hospital, I got to spend more of my time with Leon, Rebecca, Jake, and Sherry (whilst keeping in touch with my boyfriend). Being able to casually chat with the four of them and getting to know all of them better. One day whilst all of us were talking about our childhoods, Sherry brought up one specific story from her past, one that would leave me on the edge of my seat. Soon after Sherry told us the tale of how she originally met Mom and Leon, I was utterly shocked. Finding out the fact that all three of them had actually met during the very first biohazard outbreak in history, in Raccoon City. It was both sad and tragic.

Not only did I learn about that, I also found how much my mother, Claire, really meant to her. How much of a mother-like figure and role model she meant to Sherry, resulting from virtually lacking one throughout her whole childhood, before being the ward (and guinea pig) of the U.S. government. I couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt swell up in my chest, as Sherry went on and on about how much of a loving and caring person my mother was not only towards her, but to everyone else around her.

However, that wasn't the only revelation I found out that day. It wasn't long after that Jake had made a confession—revealing that he's my older brother. My half-brother technically. Making me his little sister, his half-sister to be correct. After clarifying to me how we're biologically related, I simply nodded my head, acknowledging him. Which precipitated everyone's eyes widen in surprise at my rather calm composure. It wasn't really a surprise to me; it was actually kinda a dead give away. His cerulean blue eyes, his sharp nose, and the rest of his chiseled, masculine features appeared almost exactly similar to Dad's. Still, I was shocked nonetheless.

During the middle of the week, Rebecca had to leave early due to being called back for work-related reasons by Uncle Chris, her commanding officer. Once we've all said our goodbyes to one another, she left. Heading back home. It wasn't long after that I was allowed to leave as well. Right after my discharge papers were authenticated, I was released and allowed to leave.

While Leon, Sherry, and Jake were busy getting some lunch from the cafeteria, I took off my hospital gown and changed into a navy blue turtleneck, some black leggings, grey socks, and a pair of black double buckled combat boots that Sherry bought for me from rue21.