Chapter 40

***Author's Note***

Happy Fourth of July everybody! 🎉 I hope everybody has a great day celebrating our independence with friends and family, while I spend the day to work on writing and completing more chapters for this book. 😁

BTW, the stunning chapter banners were made by the talented pankunchi. If you're interested, go check out her graphic shop "BRUJERÍA GFX SHOP."

Don't forget to comment & like!

Peace out peeps! ✌🏻

❧❈❧❈❧❈❧❈❧❈❧❈❧❈❧❈

Laura's POV

The instant doctor in the room quickly removed the tube from within my throat and the neck brace from around my neck, I was able to breathe normally once again. Before coughing abruptly to clear out my throat and stabilize my breathing for a brief moment, provoking my chest to twinge in utter pain. I glanced up, immediately recognizing Dr. Rodriquez. The very physician who was responsible for my treatment the last time I was here.

"Laura, you're awake!" Emile exclaimed using a cheerful tone of voice, as she briskly leaned over and wrapped her arms around my injured torso. Everybody else in the room swiftly surrounded my hospital bed, as I grimaced and groaned in pain due to the fact that none of my wounds aren't fully healed yet.

"Uh Emile? You're hurting me..." I breathed out, while her grip around me tightened slightly.

"Alright there Em, that's enough," Tyler said, as he pulled Emile off of me. "Welcome back to the world of the living, Lari." I smiled up at him, taking in his unblemished appearance.

I steadily sat up in my bed—wincing in pain. "Thanks Tyler," I chuckled as I glanced around, not spotting Mom among them.

'Right, she tumbled out of a twelve-story building with Dad. I don't even know if she's alive or not.' I remembered, as the corners of my mouth quirked down. Prompting my smile to recede from view.

"Laura what's wrong?" Emile inquired—noticing my sudden change of mood.

I shifted my gaze up at my best friend. "Em, I'm fine. I'm just tired, that's all," I lied—chewing on my bottom lip and rubbing my eyes to wipe away the tears that were forming. I glanced over at the end table beside me. Spotting the balloons, some Get Well cards, and a vase holding a variety of flowers. I redirected my gaze back at the teddy bear in my hands. 'What the? Why am I holding a stuffed teddy bear in my hands?'

"They're gifts from Rebecca, Moira, and Lily," Uncle Chris spoke up, right as I directed my gaze up at him.

"Then where's Moira and Lily?"