Chapter 32

Chris's POV

Chris's POV

While the pilot was flying all of us to the closest hospital nearby, Tyler, Rebecca, and I were all applying substantial pressure to the injuries on Laura's stomach and chest. The three of us managed to stop the bleeding in from her arms and legs—cleaning the wounds so they wouldn't become infected, but not her chest and stomach. Its only gotten worse.

Laura has been coughing up more and more blood with each shallow breath she took. Leaving countless drops of blood trickling down from her lips. Her skin had become so pale, almost floral white, that she practically looked like a ghost. Thankfully, Rebecca knew a way to drain the blood filling up from her lungs. It would alleviate at least some of her pain, but it wasn't gonna be a easy procedure.

"Guys," Leon, Piers, Tyler, and I immediately glanced at Rebecca. "Laura isn't gonna last much longer if we don't drain the blood from her lungs, it's what making her have difficulty breathing. I need to make a small laceration in each of lungs in order to alleviate her respiratory complication. I have the materials I need right here," Rebecca pulled out two long plastic tubes and a scalpel from her first aid attached to her utility belt. Before shifting her gaze over towards my niece. "Laura, I can't guarantee that this won't hurt. But I need you to stay strong and tough it out, okay?"

Laura slowly nodded her head with acknowledgement. Rebecca directed her gaze over at Tyler. "Tyler, go grab me that bucket over there," Rebecca ordered him. While se left to get the bucket, she glanced over at Leon and Piers. "I need you two to get on either side of Laura, and hold her down. She needs to be lying completely still while I operate. If Laura moves around too much while I cut her open, I could accidentally cut one of arteries or puncture another one of her internal organs. Causing more unnecessary harm to her. At a time like this, there can't be any room for mistakes. Got it?" The guys nodded their heads, and began walking towards opposite sides of Laura. Leon positioned him on the bench near Laura's head—resting his hands gently on her shoulders. Piers moved over towards the other side of the bench near Laura's feet—grabbing onto both of her ankles.

"Chris," I shifted my gaze over toward Rebecca. "I'm gonna need your assistance with the procedure," Rebecca said to me, as Tyler returned. Setting the bucket down by her feet and kneeling down beside her. I gaze down at Laura, as she weakly glanced over at me. With a miserable pained look on her face. 'This procedure is to help Laura, not cause any further harm.' I thought to myself, as I peered back up at Rebecca.

"Alright, what do you need me to do?" I asked her, as I took off my combat gloves.

"After I make the first incision," Rebecca pulled Laura's shirt up barely past the bottom of her chest, revealing her stomach to us. "I need you to hold it open while I make more incisions in order to reach her lungs, understood?"

I nodded my head, as Rebecca finished disinfecting the area that she's gonna cut through. Tyler pulled Laura's hand out of her pocket and grasped it—giving my niece a sense of comfort before Rebecca got started. After grabbing ahold of the scalpel, she slowly lifted the tool up towards Laura's chest. Rebecca carefully placed the sharp edge on her skin—applying pressure and dragging the blade as she began to cut open her flesh. Beginning to make large incision at the site located between two of her ribs. While making the incision, Laura bit her bottom lip—muffling her screams. Laura tried very hard not to wince or move at all, as she squeezed Tyler's hand very tightly with all of her might.