CHAPTER THIRTEEN

JORDAN

With two large bags in each hand, I carefully waddled to my car parked in the parking lot of the mall. The bags were filled with clothes from various stores. I made sure to pick the complete opposite of what I would want in fashion.

Every clothing piece was a dark and dull color, just the way Jessica liked. I even stopped at one of the shoe departments and picked up a new pair of steel toed boots, ones that she could fit her swollen fit into when it came time.

I kept checking my phone out of habit on the way home, hoping Jason would text me or something. He didn't. When I arrived back home, I opened the door to see Jessica standing on the staircase with a gun in her hand.

Her eyes held fear and her knuckles were white.

"What the hell? What's going on?" I asked as I dropped the bags on the wooden floor and quickly shut the door.

"Someone's spying on us. We have to leave." She spoke in a worried tone as she rushed to one of the windows and peaked out.

"Are you sure? I haven't noticed anyone or anything unusual."

She crossed her arms and glared at me, almost as if our sisterly bond had been broken. "Please, you wouldn't notice anything. You were stalked by Jason for years."

I kept quite, not wanting to provoke her any more.

"We need to leave as soon as we can." She said again.

"Jessica, no one is watching us, okay? You're probably just paranoid. Go take a hot shower or something. Relax for a while. I can watch for anyone if you want me to." I said, hoping to calm her down, but it only made her more fierce.

"You really think I would trust you? I've been running for most of my life, I think I can tell if someone is after me! You'll either go with me, or the road ends here!" She yelled at the top of her lungs, making me flinch.

If someone was watching us, I wouldn't want a pregnant Jessica fighting on her own. So, I nodded even though I really didn't want to. Within half of an hour, the sun went down as Jessica had finished packing up her belongings in a black duffle bag.

I stuck a gun in the waist of my jeans and locked the front door of my house, hoping to return soon. Jessica quickly started running towards the city.

"What are you doing? We can just take my car!" I yelled after her.

"Just go to the warehouse! I'll catch up with you!" She yelled back without turning around.

I jumped into my car and started driving. Soon, I was there waiting for Jessica to show up. It took about 20 minutes from my house, it'll be longer for her to walk.

It felt different being here. After Jessica moved in, I thought I would never have to come here again, but here I am. It's like no matter what I do, I can't escape the past.

As I waited for Jessica to meet me, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. His name flashed across the screen. I stood there standing at Jason's name, deciding whether or not I should answer now.

I don't want him to worry, but yet I've been waiting to hear his voice. But then again, he'll worry anyway. So, I answered.

"Jason, where are you? Are you safe?" I asked quickly.

"I'm fine. What are you doing?" He chuckled.

I sighed in relief and thought of what to say next. "I'm... I'm with Jessica in her bedroom. She um needed help with something." I lied.

"I'm not even going to ask. Anyway, I have a safe place down here. I'm going to have to get another phone, so I won't be able to talk for a while. I'll call you as soon as I get one, okay?"

The door to the warehouse making a click as it was unlocked. I turned my attention back to the phone.

"Um, yeah. Hey, I have to go. Love you!" I talked rapidly.

Jessica walked inside and placed her bags on the tiled floor.

"Have fun walking? Why the hell would you do that when I could've given you a ride over here?" I yelled while crossing my arms.

Jessica walked closer towards me until she was inches from my face. It was almost as if I were staring into my own darker eyes. "You should know by now I do my own work. I protect myself. When the time comes to it, you better be prepared to fight your own battles."

Jessica slightly pushed my shoulders with her hands, making me stumble back a few feet. I watched as she turned towards her bags and kneeled down to open one of them up. I don't know what exactly got into me, maybe a rush of adrenaline, but I found myself grabbing the gun from my waist.

I held it right behind her head as she froze up. "No, you listen to me. Things are different now. Until this baby is born, we work as a team. Next time we need to run, either get in my car or I'll put you in the trunk myself."

She didn't reply. All I could hear was her breathing, so I slowly backed away. In a way, I was scaring myself.

I watched as she took out a blanket and sat against the wall. The moonlight shone in through the large windows perfectly for me to see the expressions written on her face. I could see she was angry but scared at the same time.