Chapter 15 - 1973 - The Dating of Roger

POV Roger

February...

In the second half of February college classes returned and Phil Reed, public relations with Feldman on the radio, persuaded the BBC to record a session with the band to be featured on DJ John Peel's Sounds of Seventies. We are glad for this opportunity. The songs Doing Alright, My Fairy King, Liar and Keep Yourself Alive were taken the following week. Broadcasting and advertising were real blessings.

At the same time, they got us an EMI talent hunt called Roy Featherstone, but Trident Studios was playing hard to refuse EMI's initial offer as too low. Negotiations continued until EMI gave in and closed the deal.

My friendship with Bella was a thousand wonders. She does me good, very well.

March.

During the month of March 1973, Queen entered into a contract with EMI, allegedly for between £ 300,000 and £ 400,000.

Bob Mercer, one of EMI's corporate directors saw potential in the band, but commented that there were some pitfalls in the band's contract with Trident and that he would find out. The boys and I ran against time too, to take the photos, to the cover and back cover of the album.

April

A month after the contract with EMI, Jac Holzman went to see another performance of the band in the Marquee. Again the guys and I introduced ourselves and received a formal proposal from Elektra Records from the United States and John Anthony met with Jac leaving the show. Jac said he would close the deal and asked only that Bri make his job seem more difficult, since the boys like to think he is a kind of Beethoven. In April my sister Clare turned twenty and we celebrated in a pub in London and in her apartment. Bella was present, always beautiful and sweet. Gradually I feel something stronger for Bella and I can not explain what it is. I'm liking her, but in another way I'll keep that feeling with me. I never want to hurt Bella. I am a womanizer, even though when I am in love I am faithful, I do everything for the woman I love, but after two failed relationships I had, I am very disappointed to give myself to love again.

May.

On May fifteenth, Bella turned twenty and celebrated her birthday in a pub and then in her apartment with a delicious lunch. Still in the middle, the guys and I did the photo shoot for the back cover of Queen's album. The photos were taken by a friend of mine from Cornwall, who works as a BBC camera operator, Douglas Puddifoot. The photos for the back cover of the album were made in the apartment where Freddie lives with Mary and we decorated the living room, with artistic objects coming from the Biba store where Mary worked. The photo shoot lasted a whole Sunday and Bella, my sister Clare, Sue, Veronica and Chrissy were present with Mary. They loved the photos. Our friends Tim and Les were also present. Douglas, who is not a professional photographer, would still tell us how the boys and I would have to behave in the pictures he took. Sue, also took some pictures of us.

As for the photo for the album cover, we'll think about how we'll do it yet and it has to be urgent.

Still in the month of May, towards the end of the month, I went to the movies with Bella and when I was leaving the cinema with her going towards the parking lot a guy said:

- Hey, you fag, cut out that long hair.

I made mention of going over the asshole, to hit him but, Bella did not.

"Rog, let the boy go, the mane is still going to pay for what you said." Said Bela.

We got in the car and I started the car and left the parking lot when Bella lowered the passenger's glass and said to the guy who insulted me: