Chapter 38 - New Life / February 1976

February 1976

POV Isabella

I open my eyes and see myself in a totally white room. I get used to my sight and realize that I'm in the hospital. Beside me are my grandmothers and my best friend Sue. There was a man in white beside them, smiling. It must have been the doctor.

"Welcome back, Isabella. How it feels? Asked the doctor.

"I feel fine, Doctor," he said, moving his body a little and feeling pain.

"Okay, but you still have pain. It's normal after the serious car accident you suffered, "the doctor said. "Do you remember what happened to you?"

Suddenly everything came to light. I remembered everything, of Roger ending the courtship with me, after everything that happened.

- I remember. I remember everything. He said sadly.

"It is good that your memory is excellent," said the doctor. "It is the first of February. You've been at the hospital since the twelfth of January.

"Since the twelfth?" I asked in amazement.

"You've suffered a very serious blow to the head, Isabella. We had to put her into an induced coma, and only today did you get out of that lethargic state, "said the doctor. - We did a lot of exams and by miracle, you did not have any sequels. In the next few days, you will be discharged. For at least another three days, you will be kept in observation at the hospital. We want to see your progress.

"Yes, Doctor," I said simply.

"Soon your dinner will be served." Enjoy and talk a little with your family and friends - said the doctor and left the room.

I looked at my grandparents and my friend Sue. They smiled at me. And I do not smile back. My heart is wounded. Very injured.

"Thank God, daughter, you're well and you'll be out of the hospital soon," my grandfather said.

"We will be with you for a few more days, my princess, until you recover completely," said my grandmother.

"Who's taking over the pub?" I asked simply.

"Your two uncles," my grandfather said.

"I'm glad you and Sue are with me," I said.

"See how many messages you received from our friends while you were in a coma," Sue said, rising from her chair and picking up some of the letters that were scattered on a small table in the room.

She handed me some supporting messages, from Brian, Freddie and John, before they left for the United States for the tour.

"This morning, Clare, Chrissy, Veronica and Mary were here. They will be happy to hear that you have woken up. Said Sue.

"I want to see our friends," I said sadly.

"They'll be here, tomorrow, Bella, I promise," Sue said, smiling. "Les and Tim were here last night. I'll call them, too.

"Who else was here?" I said sadly.

"Brian, John, and Freddie came to visit her every night when they left the studios, or interviews with music producers before they left for America. They went to the United States only two days ago. But, they called me today, wanting to hear from you. Tomorrow they will call again. Said Sue.

"Roger did not come to see me?" I asked coolly.

"I'm sorry, my friend, but Roger did not come to see you at one time while you were in an induced coma.

Tears ran through my eyes, in silence.

"What about my car?" - said.

- Your car I fired for sure. His car did not make a total loss, even though it flipped four times. Your car is in the workshop and soon it will be new. Said Sue.

- I do not want this car anymore. Who gave me this car for me was Roger, "she said in annoyance." I'll sell the car. And with the money sold from the car, I'll give Roger five thousand pounds, "she said earnestly.

"My friend, please do not think about it now. Said Sue.

- It's already decided. - I said looking at Sue seriously - I will sell the car, when it is fully tidy. I'll buy my car myself, with my money. I have money stored in the bank, I can buy a new car.

"My love, please take this hurt out of your heart," my grandmother said.

I looked at her and said:

"I woke up from the induced coma, my grandmother, and I awoke to life, to my heart. Love does not exist. I was deluded for a year and a half. It's good that I woke up in time.

"Bella, please do not say that," Sue said seriously. "Roger, and you-"

"Roger and I are not a couple anymore. Roger broke up with me and I bet everyone already knows what happened to us, is not it? I said seriously.

"Yes, my daughter, Roger has commented on everyone," said my grandfather. "Even he said he would not issue a bulletin against you for stealing because of us. He said that on the one hand he understood his desperation to have taken the five thousand pounds.

"He's very generous," he said sarcastically. "Please, from now on, tell me no more of Roger, for he is dead to me."

My grandparents and Sue stared at me in amazement, but they were silent.

Three days later I leave the hospital.

My grandparents still stayed with me a few days before returning to Brighton. On the penultimate day that they were home, Freddie had called me. He commented on the tour in North America and the success that Queen is doing in the land of Uncle Sam. I commented that I am very happy for them.

Roger is strange. He is not the same anymore. - Freddie said - He is drinking a lot, smoking a lot and he has many women again, Bella. My friend suffers from silence for the termination of your relationship with you.

"He wanted to do that, Freddie," he said coldly. "And Roger was just what he was before: cold, womanish, unfeeling, he who lives intensely sex, drugs and Rock and Roll. It matches with it. I was stupid to believe in words of love, coming from a person as frivolous as he. Please do not tell me about him any more. Roger died for me.

Freddie was amazed at my statement and even pissed off he promised he will not talk about Roger anymore.

I got all the love letters that Roger gave me, photos of us that we had since we were friends. I picked it up and put it in a bowl and threw alcohol. Then I picked up a match and turned it on. I burned everything!

"Bella, my daughter, you should not have done it," said my sad grandmother.

She hugged me and I looked at all the love letters that we exchanged as our photos burned.

My heart was crying with sadness before, it was hurt, now it burns, out of Roger's hatred.

To be continued...