Chapter 55 - Housewife / Boom - Boom Cha! / October 1977

POV Isabella

It's the end of September. Today, after one more day, I leave my job as a university professor of English and I go to Wessex Studios with Sue, who is my lawyer, in this crazy marriage contract case.

"I do not understand why Roger called me asking to go to the band's recording location. He said Jim Beach wants to talk to us. Something is not smelling good to me, he's up to something, and even more so by his presence, "he said to Sue, as I drove the car carefully down the London avenues.

"Calm down, my friend, whatever it is, think of your grandfather, the money you will earn to pay for his illness," Sue said as she turned on the car radio.

"I only do this because of my grandfather." I'm going to the slaughterhouse. But for my grandparents I make any sacrifice, "he said, driving the vehicle.

Half an hour later, we arrived at Wessex Studios and parked my car in the parking lot. Sue and I got out of the car and got into the record company. We greet some of the employees there. It's seven o'clock at night. Jim Beach set this time to be present. Let's go to the band's recording booth. Sue opens the door slowly and we see in the recording room, Clare.

"Good evening, Clare," Sue said smiling.

"Good evening, my friend." Clare smiled, hugging Sue.

"Good evening, Clare, how are you?" I said smiling.

"Good evening, sister-in-law," said Clare, smiling, and I rolled my eyes. "I'm here because Jim Beach called me." He wants to talk to all of us, by the way.

"I'll bet your brother made something up for Jim Beach to demand our presence in the middle of the week," she said irritably. "I wanted to go home right now, change my clothes and go to my belly dance class." I've had a long day at work today.

"We'll see what Jim Beach wants with us or maybe my brother," Clare said, looking out of the booth at the boys, finishing the recording.

I look at the boys attentively. Freddie finishes singing to his microphone. Bri finishes a guitar solo, John is concentrated playing his bass and Roger ends the song with a drum solo. I look at Roger. So beautiful and ordinary. After they finish the song, they look towards the booth and see Sue Clare and me. Roger looks at me intently, with an indecipherable look. I sit in a chair, impatient. I hope this damn meeting is quick, I have belly dance class today.

A few minutes later, they leave the cabin. Freddie, Bri and John greet me cheerfully and Sue and Clare as well. Roger greets Clare and Sue and I just ignore it. I do not talk to him, either.

"Jim Beach waits for everyone in the next room," Roger said normally.

I rise from the chair sighing and step by Roger like a hurricane, irritated. We entered the next room. Jim Beach is sitting in his chair reading some papers. He greets everyone.

"Good evening, Bella. You look more beautiful every day, "said the young businessman, smiling.

"Thank you," she said simply as she sat in the chair. "I hope the meeting will not be delayed." I still have belly dance class today and I do not want to clear my commitment. As you can see, I have a very busy life.

At that moment Roger sits next to me, lighting a cigarette.

"Can you light that cigarette away from me?" Sit the furthest away from me? She said angrily to him.

Roger smiled sarcastically.

"I want to sit next to you and smoke wherever I want," he said, laughing wryly at me.

I get up irritated and change places with Sue.

"I can not stand your presence, Taylor," she said irritably.