Chapter 43 - He Still Loves You / July 1976

POV Isabella

I was in the hospital a few days ago. The shot I took from Luke hit my abdomen. I lost a lot of blood and had to have an emergency surgery to remove the bullet that was lodged in the region of the abdomen. I've been here for a week. I'm already fine, but I still feel some pain and I'm taking some medications. If the boys had not rescued me, I might be dead by now. After my surgery, I learned from my friends that Luke had been killed by the police. That's right. The boy who claimed to be a friend of mine, from childhood was dead. As my friends commented, while the doctors were doing my surgery the police killed Luke, the big drug dealer, and they blew up the big counter where there were lots of drugs. As for Michael, Roger's father was arrested for attempted murder and drug trafficking. He will be tried in a few months. I was devastated when I heard all this. I cried because of Luke. He said he loved me, but, he was sick, he needed psychological treatment, he was not well. As for Michael, without comment, he deceived me in a way I would never suspect. Freddie said that Roger cried a lot when he heard of Michael's arrest. He said that Michael always hated him and that now, with him in prison, he would have quiet, that Michael could not harm people.

During a week I was in the hospital, Freddie, Bri and John, as well as Veronica, Clare, Sue Mary, Chrissy, Tim and Les visited me at the hospital. My grandparents were with me too. Roger did not visit me, but every day rose ships came to me and cards with messages of improvement and support.

I'm getting sick today. Eight of July. Sue came to pick me up from the hospital with my car and took me to my apartment with my grandparents. At night, our friends were present, without Roger's presence, of course. They were happy for my recovery. My grandmother had made us dinner. I was in my room, still in recovery, I have to stay a few more days at rest, without making any effort, until the birthday of my year-old godson Robert and Bri's birthday. Bri, Freddie and John were in my room.

"Take care, my dear Bella," Freddie smiled. "We want to see you very well on the birthday of little Robert and Bri.

I smiled in silence.

"When you passed out on my lap, I thought you were dying, Bella. I went into despair, everyone went into despair, even Roger. He stopped the car and we realized that you were still breathing, weakly, but, breathed and we rushed you to the nearest hospital. Roger, for two moments almost hit the car. He was crazy about worrying about you, "Bri said, smiling at me.

"He does not have to worry about me," he said sadly, looking at my friends. "If I died, Roger would not have to.

"He still loves you," John said, smiling at me. "He still loves you very much.

"He does not love me anymore, John," he said flatly. "He told Luke that.

"He told Luke what was convenient for the moment, my dear Bella," smiled Freddie. Rog is suffering from malaise. He did not forget you. But, his damn pride speaks loudly and because he has already suffered previous disappointments, he is afraid of hurting himself much more.

"Something tells me that someday you'll understand each other again." Brian smiled.

"Something tells me this day will not come, and please do not tell me about Roger," I said sadly. "I do not love you either.

Freddie, Bri and John began to laugh.

"What an embarrassing joke, my dear friend Bella. You love each other very much and will one day understand each other, "smiled Freddie.

The days went by and I was recovering. On the eighteenth of July, it was the first birthday of my godson Robert, who was celebrated in a large children's buffet, which had Tom and Jerry's drawing theme. I talked cheerfully to my friends, except Roger. We do not exchange a word. I played a lot with my beautiful godson. Robert has Veronica's red hair and John's gorgeous green eyes. Perfect combination. Already about to sing congratulations, Veronica told me to call Roger, who was with Robert. I grimaced and Veronica smiled. She did it on purpose. I go the direction to the toys and see Roger inside a Formula One racing toy car with Robert. Roger was driving slowly in the small lane. Robert was smiling. You're loving the godfather's company, by the way. Seeing me, Roger stopped the car and Robert began to cry.