Chapter 40 - Life of Rock Star / A car under the trench / May 1976

POV Roger

April 1976

On April 8th, my beloved sister Clare completed twenty-three years and celebrated at the house she is living with Mom in London, the house I bought for them. Of course, Isabella was present because she is still a friend of Clare's. Both my mother and Clare told me to forgive Isabella, but, I say there's no way. Isabella and I do not talk. Our friends told us to make amends, at least to get back together, but that's out of the question. What Isabella did to me has no forgiveness. After Clare's birthday on April 10, I said goodbye to my new home in the Fulham and Freddie neighborhoods, Bri and Deacy, and I left for Japan for eight shows on the A NIGHT AT THE OPERA tour. We did two concerts in Osaka, two concerts in Kyoto, two shows in Yokohama and two concerts in Tokyo. In Tokyo we still took some pictures for the same magazine that we had interviewed the year before. It was wonderful to be back in Japan after a year. We strolled through the Japanese cities where we played shows, autographs and took lots of pictures with the fans and of course, I also went to bars with strippers. Since I'm single now, I got a lot of stripper, drank and smoked at will. Of course the tabloids did not waste time and took many pictures of me with strippers from the bars, besides the girls from the program the part that I knew. We spent sixteen days in Japan.

After Japan, we went to Australia to do shows for a week, in addition to other commitments in that country. I remember when Freddie said that when Queen returned to Australia it would be the biggest band in the world. We are not yet, but we are on our way. The album A NIGHT AT THE OPERA has sold a lot in Australia and New Zealand.

In Australia, we did concerts in the cities of Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney, and besides the concerts, they also know the cities and their historical points and of course I had a lot of beautiful women, always in motels with women. In addition, the boys and I also gave interviews to Australian newspapers and magazines, participated in television talk shows, and late autograph and photo demos for fans who had won a contest on an Australian rock radio. We spent fourteen days in Australia.

May 1976

By the second week of May we were on our way back to London and chatting happily on the plane when Deacy said,

"Rog, my friend, do not you think you're exaggerating everything you're doing, I mean to drink a lot and smoke over and over, what you're used to?" In addition, in Japan and Australia you had hundreds of women. I know you have your womanizing side, but I think this very exaggerated Rock Star image might hurt the band.

I started to laugh. Bri was serious, thoughtful, and Freddie said,

- Dear Deacy, the band will not hurt, but Rog's image is sure to be compromised. Dear Rog, you do whatever you want with your life, but beware of excesses.

The plane took off toward London and I said:

"I'm fucking fucked up so that others will think about what I do with my life." I'm single, free, light and loose. I have a Rock Star life now, which should be very useful. That's what I want for myself.

"And Isabella, how's it going, Rog?" Bri asked, and at that moment I stopped laughing.

"Isabella and I are no longer friends, much less boyfriends," she said harshly. "She means nothing to me, Bri. She let me down a lot.

"We've all been wrong, Rog, but does not she really mean anything to you?" Did the love she felt for her come to an end? Said Bri.

I was silent, thoughtful about it.

After the boys and I arrived in London with no other tour in sight for the time being, we decided to get together and start writing songs for the band's new album, which we had ideas for. We talked to Roy Thomas Baker and others connected to the band and they said we should go ahead, but this time we could not count on Roy Thomas Baker to produce the album. The rest of May I also took to fly kart. I'm already getting used to it and in the future I'll take part in official races. I love speed.

Freddie, Bri and I, during the rest of May we were already writing a lot of songs and we had an interest during June to write more lyrics, because in July we will go into the studio to record the new album. For the rest of May I was leaving Freddie's new apartment, which he had bought with the boys, after another day of writing lyrics. I called Crystal, who was with my Range Rover and asked him to pick me up. He picked me up at Freddie's apartment and instead of going to my house, we told him to go to a Night Club. Bri and Deacy, who are now married, went to their homes and Freddie even separated from Mary, arranged with her, for the two of them to dine at an Italian restaurant. So it was only for Crystal and I to go to the Night Club. Crystal, my roadie and friend got as many women as I did. We drank too, but we did not get drunk this time. I stayed with blonde, brunette, redhead, fat, thin, one night I stayed with about fifty women, kissing and making out. I even had sex with a hot blonde in the Night Club itself, more secretly in the dark. By the time I leave with Crystal, it's already five-thirty in the morning. It is dawning and cursed, there was paparazzi in front of the place and took our photos. I was tired and wanted to just go to my house and sleep. The paparazzi came toward me, to say something, but, I looked at them seriously, with a look of bad humor and they did not approach. I took the key from my car with Crystal.

"Are you sure you want to drive, Rog?" Are not you tired enough? Asked my friend.

"I'm fine, Crystal," he said, sitting down in the driver's seat. "I'll take you to your house and then I'll go to mine." - said calling the car and I go out singing tire.

"Are you sure you can park your Range Rover well?" Said Crystal, laughing.

"Of course I can get a friend, I'm a good driver. I'm even driving kart, "I said, laughing.

"You're an excellent driver, but at the same time it's crazy," Laughed Crystal and I laughed back.

"If you say so," he said, laughing.

After I left Crystal at her house, I went to my house in the neighborhood of Fulham. I turned on the radio and played the Bohemian Rhapsody song and I smiled. It's already six in the morning. Dawn. It's the end of May 1976. Everything is going well. After Bohemian Rhapsody, he started playing In the Lap of the Gods ... Revisited. The radio is doing a special with Queen's discography, I automatically remember Isabella and I feel like crying. I increase the speed of the car automatically, without realizing it, without feeling. When I was already close to the neighborhood I'm living in, there was a large ditch, caused by the rain the night before. As I was driving fast, I could not divert, I freed the vehicle sharply, but, I fell with my blue Range Rover inside the ditch. I slammed my face into the wheel of the car and fainted.

When I woke up I was already in the hospital and my friends were there, except Isabella, of course. My mother scolded me in the hospital, saying that I was irresponsible because I was driving at high speed. I asked the boys if the car had caused total loss.

- Luck dear Rog is that your Range Rover did not give a full loss and the insurer will soon get in touch with you. Said Freddie.

On the same day, I leave the hospital, having only a few bruises on my face and arm. In the next two days, the insurer will contact me about the car. I'll have a new Range Rover. I'm still not happy. After I finished my courtship with Isabella, my life without her is a denial. I cry silently, thinking of my luck ...

To be continued...