Was It Love

© 2017 D.S. Little
All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission from the author, except as permitted by U.S. Copyright law.
************

Odell

"Good game fam." I told my best friend Jarvis, then gave him a brotherly hug.

"I luh you boy." He returned.

We had just finished winning our Saturday, preseason game against Miami. Instead of spending the rest of the day going out with my boys like I normally would after a game, my whipped ass was anxious to get Danielle back to the condo!

I swear she had a voodoo doll hidden somewhere with my face on it, because I was falling deeper and deeper for her.

When she brought up the fact that her ex was at her job I was pissed, mostly because while being all the way in New York he could do that pop up shit whenever he wanted to and I couldn't do anything about it.

All I could do was trust Danielle. When it came to me she had not given me any reason not to trust her. And to be with the same person for ten years, showed a lot about a person's loyalty.

I made my way to the locker room with the rest of my teammates. My locker was near my boys' Victor Cruz and Sterling Shepherd. Our entire wide receiver team was close though, we rooted and supported each other, even though technically we should have been in competition with each other.

Out of all of us, Victor was the only one with a Superbowl ring, so even though he wasn't the same player since he returned from his knee injury, I never allowed the media to disrespect him by dismissing his importance to the team. He was the veteran in our position and we respected him as such.

"One and oh." Victor said yanking off his jersey.

"Technically oh and oh," I corrected, "these preseason games don' mean a damn thang but more money for the NFL puttin us at more risk for injury."

""Yea, you might not wanna lead with that when they come over to interview you." Shep said laughing as he changed out of his own clothes.

"What they gonna do, fine me?" I shrugged. I had already paid so many NFL fines I was beginning to think they just wanted my entire check!

"You just gotta play the game." Victor chimed in laughing, "you already know they comin for you."

"Fuck Roger Goodell and the media," I said looking between my two teammates, "they ain't gonna keep me from saying whatever I wanna say!"

"Please don't lead with that O." Shep said shaking his head, we don't need that kind of drama around here. They can't even stop talk about that damn trip to Miami as is!"

Soon after Shep's words, the reporters made their way to our area and they immediately swarmed me.

"Odell are you ready for this season?" A reporter asked.

"I'm always ready." I told him.

"Odell your pre-game routine was more tame than it normally is. Has the organization finally forced you to calm down this season?" Another reporter asked.