Part Of This Game

© 2017 D.S. Little
All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission from the author, except as permitted by U.S. Copyright law.
************

Odell

I had just finished leaving my attorney's office. We had finally reached a settlement with Tommy Owen, the photographer who thought it was okay to 'make it rain' on Danielle, causing me to have to 'make it rain' on his face.

I had to pay him $400,000 and issue a public apology to put this entire thing behind me. He wasn't going to press charges if I did those two things. My apology was cryptic, I made sure to state that what he did was unacceptable and that I regretted my response to it. But if I had to do it all over again, I honestly would have reacted the same way.

After leaving his office I went to the Giants' practice facility to burn off some the steam I was feeling from the meeting. I was happy to have it behind me, but upset at the price tag that it took to make it go away. It's not because I didn't have the money, it was because I didn't want that asshole to have the money.

I had one of the equipment managers throw me some passes so that could I run and catch them. Being in my zone and catching one handed passes had my blood pumping. I ran until my body burned from the beating I was giving it.

The Giants' Offensive a Coordinator, Mike Sullivan, was walking towards me as I was finishing up.

"I'm surprised to see you out here," he said giving me a fist bump, "did you get all of that personal stuff cleared up?"

"Just finished paying half a mil too." I nodded throwing the ball back to the equipment manager.

"That's part of the game," Mike said shaking his head with regret, "any misstep we make, the leeches are standing right there ready to drain your bank account."

"What would you have done if he did that to Julie?" I asked him.

"He would be in the hospital right now." Mike said with seriousness.

Mike was a former U.S. Army Ranger who had been trained how to kill with his bare hands so I didn't put it past him that what he was telling me was true.

"I don't blame you for what you did which is why I spoke out in your defense. I just wanna make sure you get it cleared up because I need you on that field when the season starts."

"No word from the league yet?"

He shook his head, "they aren't gonna touch you if there aren't any charges filed."

"I hope not, the last thing I need is a suspension or another fine from this."

"I don't see that happening at this point." He shook his head. "Look, you've been going for awhile, you should go ahead and get outta here." He took the football out of my hands, "you need some rest before training camp starts next month."

"You're right." I did feel better.

Catching passes on the practice field without any distractions and then talking to my Offensive coach, I was feeling lighter about it all, but I knew I was going to feel even better once I got to San Diego.

I showered and threw on some shorts and a long-sleeved tee. The moment I stepped outside of the facility there were fans calling my name and waiting for me. My phone rang and I answered it while walking over to them.