Stop Playing Games

© 2017 D.S. Little
All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission from the author, except as permitted by U.S. Copyright law.
************
Christian

I couldn't sleep. I was lying in Danielle's bed holding her and I had so many different feelings about it. I had never seen Danielle drunk like this before and I was concerned about her more than ever.

The husband in me wanted to take care of her, but the soon-to-be-ex-husband in me wanted to respect that she was an adult who could make her own decisions.

I had seen all the stuff on social media and I didn't care how OBJ and his team tried to spin it. I knew that they were together and that he had cheated on her. This drinking was definitely her way of dealing with the pain from that and I didn't like it.

Tequila was nothing to play around with and if she was picking up a drinking habit there was no one around nearby to stop her.

I looked at my watch then adjusted my arm around her waist. She was sleeping so heavily as if it had been days since she even had slept. It was close to noon and I had plans with Shannon that afternoon. I still needed to go home to shower and change but I couldn't bring it in me to leave Dee, not like this.

We weren't together anymore but I was going to always love her and with that love came the need to want to take care of her.

I felt her begin to move and then she rolled over lazily and looked at me.

Damn I miss waking up to her like this.

"My head hurts so bad." She mumbled then smiled weakly at me.

"I'll go get you something." I offered trying to pull myself up but she stopped me.

"No, don't leave me."

I looked at her with confusion, "Dee..."

"I just wanna lay here with you." She said softly. Her eyes were filled with pain. I knew her too well.

"Me laying here won't help that headache." I chuckled.

"But it will help me." She returned.

"Dee, are you okay?" I asked her again wanting her to open to me.

She shrugged. "I'm okay."

"No, you're not."

Even though her small smile was still on her face a tear began to trickle down her face and it felt like I had been shot in the stomach. I hated to see her cry, I would do anything in my power not to see her cry.

When I was going through my anger about the situation with Odell I had to stay away from her because I knew my words would hurt her. I knew they would make her cry and I didn't want to do that to her. For me it was easier to stay away. I took full responsibility for the entire situation, I should have never agreed to that night.

"I'll be okay." She cleaned up her answer.

"Not drinking like that you won't," I said softly, "it's only going to make things worse for you."

We just laid like that with the sun shining into her room, looking at each other as if we were scanning to see if anything had changed on the other.

"Thank you for coming over last night."

"You sounded like you needed a friend."