Take A Chance

© 2017 D.S. Little
All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission from the author, except as permitted by U.S. Copyright law.
************

Danielle

It had been two weeks since Odell told me that he was done chasing after me. When he first said it I didn't care, but now with football season in full swing his face was everywhere and I found myself not able to escape the reality that I missed him. I hated that I missed him too.

I had been feeling homesick so I took some days off and flew to San Diego to hang out with my girl Monique and to escape the saturation of Odell.

"This would look good on you." My mom commented pointing out a sea green dress that was hanging on a mannequin.

"I like the color, but I hate the cut."

We passed the store and continued walking.

"How are things with you and Odell? Have you two made up yet?" My mom only started calling him by his name after they met, up until then she had referred to him as 'the football player.'

"It's not gonna work out." I told her the short version.

"Why not?" My mother asked as we walked towards the deli. We had been shopping for hours and we were both starving. "When you brought that boy home, I'll admit I was skeptical at first, but after talking to him and seeing you two together I could see the love between you two with my own eyes."

"That was then." I told her.

"Oh, so you don't love him anymore? Just like that?" She looked at me skeptically. "What happened?"

"It's all the women around him...I'm not tryna get hurt." I mumbled. "We've been back and forth for over a year now and we can't seem to get on the same page."

"And what page is that?" She asked as we walked inside of the deli.

"The one where we figure out if we are gonna be together or not." I returned.

We paused our conversation and placed our orders. I got a soup and a sandwhich while my mother got a soup and salad. After I took our tray to a corner booth we sat across from each other.

"Is it you or him?" My mother asked while seasoning her soup.

"I guess it's both of us, the last time I saw him he said that he wanted to be together and then some girl is calling him at the same time on his phone."

"He's a single guy...and not just any regular guy either." My mom said blowing her soup. "That is one fine man, so I can see why women are calling his phone. They wanna be with him, too."

"But if he wants to be with me, he needs to stop all of that."

"The way you stopped Christian from calling you when you were with him?" I opened my mouth and shut it after realizing her point. "Getting into a relationship takes time and you have to give him a chance to tell the other women that he is even in a relationship." My mother slipped a spoonful of soup in her mouth. "I think you are just terrified to be with him. I think you are scared of being in love again."