To Remain Like This

© 2017 D.S. Little
All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission from the author, except as permitted by U.S. Copyright law.
************

Danielle

I felt as if I was in a Twilight Zone walking inside of Odell's condo. I thought answering all of Vic and Elaine's nosy questions at dinner was difficult, I was not prepared for what happened when we left. When the photographer threw that money at me I tried to keep walking, but I was so stunned by what he had done that I was stuck in place. My anger came quick but before I had a chance to react Odell was pummeling the guy as if he doing a punching bag drill.

The stocky man was several inches shorter than Odell and didn't look as if he knew what a gym looked like. Odell knocked him down to the ground  with his first punch and then bent over him connecting with more. The photographer's colleagues didn't even try to help him, they were too busy trying to capture as many images and video as they could of the fight.

I was thankful Shep and Vic came back to get Odell because he had pushed me off of him as if I was a weightless rag doll.

I didn't want any of this! The last thing I wanted for Odell was for him to get in trouble over something concerning me.

I looked over at him now as he sat on his leather couch talking to his lawyer. He explained to him what happened and was now listening to instructions.

"I know. I know." Odell said shaking his head. "Reach out to him and see how much he wants." He paused as if he was getting more advice. "I know, but I wasn't just gonna let him disrespect her like that."

As much as I was upset with him for what he had done, risking his career the way he did, for me. I was thankful that he felt he had to defend my honor, but I was scared for him. I didn't want him to go to jail, get suspended from playing, or have to pay any money in damages to anyone.

"Call me when you know something." He said wrapping up his call.

He tossed his phone on the table in front of him then turned to me.

"What did he say?" I asked, my stomach churning in knots with nervousness.

He stood up from the couch and walked over to me, "let me worry about what he said, I need to know if you are okay."

"I don't know." I admitted to him honestly. "I wasn't ready for any of that."

"I shouldn't have forced tonight on you. I know how crazy they can get." He said shaking his head. I noticed him opening and closing his fist and saw the red marks on both hands. "Let me go put some ice on your hands, I still have the last day of minicamp tomorrow."

I had forgotten all about the fact he had practice the next day. I could only imagine the circus he was going to be met with there.

While he was on the phone with his lawyer, I had made the mistake of going on my twitter page. Odell was the number one trending topic and attached were pictures of him punching the photographer along with humiliating pictures of me with money being thrown at me.

My phone began to vibrate for the hundredth time and I saw Christian's name come up. I answered it without thinking because I wanted to know why he was still trying to contact me. I had a feeling that it had something to with Shannon and I needed to know if there was any more bad news that I needed to know about.